cycling and double hip replacement

Posted , 12 users are following.

i had a double hip replacement 7 weeks ago, i'm back walking , having done the exercises, and still am exercising three to four times a day, and walking without aids every day, has anyone any idea how long it will be before i can start cycling again

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sounds like you are doing great so far, i went without sticks 3 months its 12 months now and not sure l could ride a bike, its amazing how quick things get better but you seem to be doing so good, not sure about cycling at 7 weeks though , best to ask consultant.good luckLinda

• Posted

looks like your doing great .

i went on a 5 mile ride after 8 weeks

and cycle quite often .

i think it a good idea to do shorter rides and build it up gradually

irene

• Posted

Hi, I had RTHR over 3 years ago (and LTHR 5 weeks ago). Last time around surgery went very well and surgeon advised me to wait 12 weeks before cycling. I anticipate similar before cycling this time around also. Although I felt very well and thought 12 weeks was a long wait, I realised it was the right thing to do. As advised by the surgeon... while we can control our own cycling habits (speed, position and pace of dismounting etc), we cannot control the likes of traffic, pedestrians or hazardous cycling conditions. If a need to take action quickly, sudden force on hip/s is not good.

I do recommend though that you check with your own medics. All the best with your recovery.

• Posted

3 weeks after my surgeries part of my training included a stationary bike.After 12 weeks I was able to live as I had before with a bit of caution. Listen to your body it speaks clearly. More does not always mean better. Everyone is different. How much biking do you want to do? Tour de France, around town...? What is your plan or goal? Talk with your PT. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. thanks for that, just need to cycle to work , only 3 miles, and i have an electric bike, so no effort needed really, i was just concerned about getting on and off,

• Posted

i am due to have double hip replacement on 24th June. do you recommend any aids and equipment i would need post op?

sounds like your recovery is going brilliantly

• Posted

Hi , i didn't use anything other than the gear recommended by the NHS, i just stuck to the exercises, good luck

• Posted

The two things I found really useful was a long bit of cloth tied into a loop supplied by the hospital for lifting my leg into bed (you could use a dressing gown or chord or similar) and a grabber. I bought an icer from Amazon which I never used. I did have raised toilet seats also organised by the hospital.

• Posted

hi I had RTHR 23 days ago. I got a leg lifter off amazon but after abt 5 days at home was able to lift my leg into bed myself so think the idea of a rolled up towel or dressing gown tie a cheaper idea. most useful thing I got was grabbed. I've got 3 - one in kitchen - gt for getting stuff in / out the washer : 1 in living room - gt for getting your clothes on bottom half anyway :and one I keep in the bedroom / bathroom - gt for lifting stuff off the floor like your shoes if you need to position them on the floor to put them on / move the bed clothes abt over your bad leg.

I'd already got raised toilet seats as hurt otherwise - mine are 2" as I'm 5ft 3 but they do a 4" one as well. off well known delivery website.

hospital supplied me with a little wheeled trolley the idea being I can move cooked meals abt and my washing to the dryer . they also supplied 2 frames around the loo to help you get up.

you need to think abt what chair you'll sit on. they do advise a firm fairly tall ie not low seat . the hospital would've supplied chair leg raisers but I've got a wing back chair which is brilliant. its 17" off the floor so for my heights gt.

fortunately I've got a shower but if you've a bath a bath boards often used . at my pre OP assessment we were all seen individually and assessed for what we needed at home then the next day what theyd ordered for me arrived.

anyway good luck from my point of view life post op is brilliant. still learning to walk more but the pain is so much more bearable 😃

• Posted

Hi Geoff

It sounds like you are really positive which will help with your recovery.

I had a resurfacing op in 2008 and was encouraged by a consultant to cycle right up to the day before, which i did.

All the cycling helped my recovery which was pretty quick although i can't remember how quickly.

It was within a couple of months anyway and i even survived a couple of offs, on and off road.

Good luck

Larry

• Posted

I just laid my bike on its side in the beginning and pulled it up underneath me until I was finally able to lift my leg up over the bike comfortably. I was at 7 weeks my first ride. Only did 3 miles due to the many hills in my area. Next ride that became weekly was at 10 weeks and those were 12+ miles. Lots of hills (3 pretty steep) and on a mnt bike. I did have to deal with groin pain so, I stopped for several weeks because it was messing up my surfing. I've been trying new seats as my alignment is now different since having both hips replaced.

I rode my bike the day before my surgeries. Riding keeps my cardio strong.

Just take it easy and avoid having to put your foot down suddenly.

I tried stationary bikes but, none were comfortable and too boring.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing really well. I'm full of admiration for people who have both hips done at once! I started cycling to work again at about 10 weeks, and I couldn't believe how comfortable it felt compared with pre op. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.