CYCLING WITH PLANTAR FASCIITIS

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have pain when I walk but not when I cycle,although my heel area stiffens up after.Is cycling ok or is it doing more long term damage?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I believe that anything that doesn't cause pain is OK and not harmful.  But I mainly believe that cushioning is the key.  I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  My plantar fasciitis began around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved. 

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation in the area of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone.  This begins from trauma and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia (just a few fibers) that results, naturally, in inflammation which is the body's way of healing any tissue injury.  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves.  

So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion your heel!!!  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  (I plan to use them indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wear a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone. 

That's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis.   

• Posted

Hello baygirl,

I picked this up from another thread and followed it because it made sense to me to protect it so it could heal. The diagnosis differs a little from doknabox but the treatment reasoning and result are in line. I'm a survivor and have no medical training. It says biking is fine and I did a lot of it training for a race. Good luck.

Here goes.

PF Treatment

From PFAuthor

Yasmiina. I'm sorry to hear about your experience and that your condition is worsening. There are many misconceptions about plantar fasciitis. You were smart to consider alternative treatment, as traditional methods have largely proven ineffective. As a medical professional, I wrote a book about curing plantar fasciitis. However, I am not hear to make money or promote my book. I am here to help others. That being said, I would be happy to send you a book at no-charge if we can figure out a way to privately communicate.

In the mean time, here are the dos and don'ts.

The term Plantar Fasciitis is a misnomer as the disease not an inflammation. It was proven that Plantar Fasciitis is the result of dying and decayed tissue. This means two things: 1) There is insufficient blood flow to the heel of the foot, 2) The tissue is undergoing continuous damage. Therefore you want to treat it by improving blood flow to the foot and supporting the anchor points of the plantar fascia so they do not undergo further damage through the healing process. In the long run, you also want to strengthen the muscles of the feet (which have become weak from wearing traditional footwear) so they can properly support the plantar fascia to prevent a relapse. Ideally, this process should take 6-weeks. In sever or chronic cases, it can take 8-weeks or a year.

INCREASING BLOOD FLOW

1. Try not to wear footwear that has the toe box pointing up (like traditional running shows). Pointing the toes up, causes the muscle of your great toe to press against the posterior tibial artery, which feeds blood to the plantar fascia.

2. Soak your foot in warm water and Epsom salts every morning or night for at least 30 minutes, this will get blood flowing throughout your foot.

3. Stand, lift your foot above the ground, and in an almost tip-toe position gently press your toes against the floor to crunch them in (your toes should be stretching in the opposite position then what they were in when you first stretched your toes and experienced the pain of plantar fasciitis - I have illustrations in my book). This will open the posterior tibial atery and flood the heel portion of the plantar fascia with blood. Keep your foot in this position for a full minute if you can. You may feel a throbbing pain in your heel, which means that the blood is flowing and the exercise is working. When done, life your foot and wiggle your toes to loosen things up and regulate blood flow.

4. In contrast to traditional theory, do not stretch your toes upward, as you did when you first felt the pain of plantar fasciitis. This causes the plantar fascia to pull and creates tears in the anchor points of the plantar fascia at the heel (it can also create tears at the anchor points in the toes). You can do this to gently stretch your plantar fascia when you are in the shower and your foot is hot and flexible, but it must be a gentle stretch, only for a few seconds, and immediately followed by the exercise in step 3.

5. Wear properly sized socks. Do not wear socks that are tight in the toe area. There is anecdotal evidence that this in itself may be a cause of plantar fasciitis.

SUPPORTING THE PLANTAR FASCIA

1. Do not run or walk excessively during the healing process. Try to stay off your feet as much as possible. If you must exercise, then try riding a bike - outside or stationary

2. Calf stretches every day are a must!

3. Buy a roll of sports tape. Here in the US, Walmart sells a roll of the J&J brand for about $3. Every morning, until your foot is healed, run a piece of tape from left to right across the bottom of your heal (secured to the left and right sides of your ankles). This should basically be like a stirrup. Then run another piece across the bottom back of your heel (as low as possible) also secured to the left and right sides of your ankles (the tape should be at 90 degrees to the first piece). Run a final piece of tape at a 45-degree angle to the first two pieces. This final piece is the most important, so if you do not have time to do all three, then do the last one only. This will support the anchor points of your plantar fascia and keep them from further injury while they heal. When using the tape your heel may feel so good that you may think that you are cured - you are not. The tape is simply a crutch. Wear it for at least 6-weeks in conjunction with the advice shown above.

There is more you can know, but what I provided should set you on the right track. I urge you and others to start this program immediately as long term cases of plantar fasciitis often result in irreparable damage leaving surgery as the only alternative. Please feel free to respond to this post if you have any questions.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up