Cyclizine - Thought I was dying.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Yesterday I had IV administered Cyclizine. Within 10 seconds I experienced severe

visual disturbances in the form of full vision stripy patterns. When I closed my eyes

these patterns became much bigger and appeared to come towards me. I experienced

palpitations, not just a momentary episode but banging, deep rapid thudding. My arms

felt floppy and I couldn't lift my hands up from the bed without them dropping down.

I couldn't form my words properly and found it difficult to speak - I thought I was

dying - could I have died I wonder, even though it wasn't Anaphylaxis.

This drug is not a life saving drug and therefore medics/nurses should inform the

patient if they would rather bear the sickness or the terrifying side effects they have

the potential of experiencing - the most frightening experience of my life.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I can really relate to your experience when I had cyclizine IV in August 16. I was shaken up for days. I actually shook in bed for about 8 hrs after the dose. I had the deep rapid thud and the unable to lift my arms, legs etc and truly thought I was dying. You have probably read my post. My mum watched the whole thing and also thought she was loosing me. It doesn't seem a common reaction and as a midwife myself I have never seen that reaction when I have given it in the past, though the nurse who gave me it to me pushed it through the IV in about 10 seconds and it should be between 3-5 mins.

It's really scary isn't it. Hope your ok

Since when I'm asked about any drug allergies I say cyclizine and I can't even describe the reaction properly as it was so severe but I didn't need an antidote. Just time for my body to process it.

Jess

• Posted

Hello Jessica89193

I understand what you say about the drug being administered slowly.

The Nurse administered the drug through the canula in 10 seconds as

with yourself and then asked if I "could feeling anything", which at the

time I thought this was a strange thing to say. Then everything just

happened. Brown herringbone patterns filling my entire field of vision

that were spinning around and got bigger and closer when I closed

my eyes. The occasional palpitations experienced by us are nothing

compared to the ferocity of these. I don't know how you dealt with

a trauma like that for 8 hours. My episode lasted 30 minutes. My heart

rate came down a lot between monitoring but I'm concerned about

any delayed consequences to the heart actually. Ideally I think they

could have said that although this drug was available that there is a risk of

some particularly nasty side-effects. No one like to be sick but I

would prefer it to this reaction. As you say, it really did feel like

I may die. Thanks so much for your reply - I saw yours just after I

clicked on Send. Kindest regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.