Cyclothymia

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have cyclothymia. i have read that this is classed as a mild bipolar, i have been told that as it is cyclothymia and not a bipolar 1 or 2 I would possibly be able to control this without medication. I've tried antidepressants for the downs but they make me 'switch' quite quickly. Has anyone tackled cyclothymia without medication and succeeded? I'm waiting for my CBT to start and I have got myself some books on mindfulness and a book on sleep to go through, I've also seen online a workbook like the ones for anxiety but aimed at cyclothymia. Am I aiming to high here to get through it without meds :-/ I've been offered meds, and Quetiapine helps me get to sleep if I'm having problems but I'm trying to avoid it :-/ anybody got any thoughts on all this xxxx

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'm a big advocate for attempting to deal with anxiety and depression without meds. Of course some conditions mean that isnt possible,but too many don't even attempt it,which in the long term I think does them any good. Cbt is often offered first,it works for.some but for many it doesn't. Theres many more effective therapy options out there,just bear that in mind in case cbt doesn't do it for you
  • Posted

I would try without meds if you can but do the background reading and cbt.

If you feel that you need meds then that is your decision.

• Posted

Thankyou both of you for your opinions, I would of course take medications if I needed to, which I think is always the case with bipolar 1 or 2. I have received some quite negative comments from people who know me as i don't think they have much faith in me but their not the ones having to deal with nasty side effects if that happens. I secretly enjoy it when I get my highs as I'm very productive, I don't really want to be 'flattened' by meds as I just wouldn't be the same person I love art, creative stuff, u know. It's the downs though which break me and make me do daft things and go into self destruct.
    • Posted

I was diagnosedcin Dec with cyclo rapid cycling. It's a very individual thing. I have stopped quetiapine about 6 weeks ago. And gradually reduced fluoxetine to 20mg. It's been a rollercoaster but I am persevering with it even after my mum passing away. But I wont lie... my highs n lows aren't good. I just take it a day at a time. Cbt helps if I can just get in the right space to practice it. I hope you can manage without. 😊
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I'm not gonna lie I don't think I will be able to do it meds free the next time something bad in life happens but my cyclothymia has been offset by trauma...
    • Posted

I knew  what you meant, just trying  to lighten  up.  It's  not  all bad.  I've had to push myself to do things I didn't think I could do because of my shyness as a young adult.
  • Posted

Can I ask about your diagnosis? Currently my GP and therapist think I may be bipolar, and am waiting confirmation by a psychiatrist as I'm told only they can make an absolute diagnosis. I think cyclothymia is maybe more likely. Just wondered how your diagnosis went?
    • Posted

What do u want to know? It's taken a long time and quite a few meetings as there's other things which have complicated it for me such as life events etc, so was a bit hard to disguigish at first. When I say daft things I don't mean funny. I mean self destruct mode like hacking off hair quitting things leaving things ruining relationships, arguments that have meant years of rebuilding relationships, spending much more money than I have, etc. I don't think this is part of a normal way of life when you've caused it yourself, the highs start good and end bad bad badly. Then massive downs. I had to be seen a few times. I'm down more than up.
    • Posted

In terms of diagnosis it started off with a GP, seen them a few times and they thought I might be bipolar so was referred to MH team who have said its definitely not bipolar 1 or 2. People less qualified thought I was true bipolar and so do a few people that know me but professionals say I'm actually very mild so it is cyclothymia. Although the effects it has on me and my life are not mild, if that makes sense. If your bipolar it's not recommended to take a SSRI on its own. I did that. It went horribly wrong!!
    • Posted

All that seems familiar it really does,i too am down a lot, my ups seem to be more like really anxious, really frightened,really productive at times and causing arguments, believing I'm just much more worthy and intelligent than others,which isnt like me at all. I'm worried that when I see the psychiatrist that I'm having a day when things seem more.normal,and I don't explain things properly. Anyways thanks ,I don't want to ambush your thread lol
    • Posted

No that's ok, Don't worry about not being able to explain. I'm like that. People think I don't know I'm doing it but I do and that causes anxiety. Bipolar uk website has a good mood diary printout you can use to track your moods which is what i do because if I don't I will forget how I felt or pretend I didn't feel that way. There's some good info on there too, although cyclothymia isn't bipolar, sone people do progress to being bipolar so it's good to get the right help. (Says me, screaming at my family that I don't need help I'm 'fine'!) the joys !
  • Posted

Hi...my doctor said i have same 8month ago.told me there is no sorry its Lightmode but should use for one year lith 300 lamojen 50 serequel so so lol and sertalin 25 and after 1 year u stop all and for 2years more just follow lith and lamojen.ofcourse sport i should do.i want ask u what u did in your life that your doctor notice u have Lightmode.for example i had no hallu or voice in mind..i never had suicide feeling.i like life and most mania with alot thought and new idea.but i had no energy for 8 hours work.i get upset from those i expect.was patuent even nowi am in some stuff.when i listen to music i never listen to text even when i was at school no listen to teacher except those subject i like..when listen tousic i go to dream more deeply than other ppl and i feel im leader in a group and all expect me to survive them.lol this thinking get less but they didnt remove.i have concentarte more but i have not that much energy as 33young lady.have any one has same experiance like me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.