Cymbalda and IBS-A -- ANY EXPERIENCE

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm slowing weaning off of Mirtazapine 15 mg. dose and doc wants me on Cymbalta.  I'm not sure I want to go onto yet another antidepressant and go thru all those side effects again.  Anyone have experience with Cymbalta?  Thanx.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Cymbalta is one of a class of antidepressants called SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) the class includes Zoloft and Cypralex. There is a load of anecdotal evidence that all SSRIs cause stomach upsets. Cypralex certainly gave me diarrhea and stomach pains. So I think you are right to be pretty gun-shy about Cymbalta or any SSRI, as I assume the side-effects you are experiencing are the same. Pretty ironic, isn't it, the psychologists prescribe meds that worsen the condition that brought on the depression in the first place!

• Posted

Thanx dave but Cymbalta is a SNRI not a SSRI med.  It works on both seritonin and norepinephrine.  I've taken almost all the SSRIs available and they do not last long in my body.  See my reply to pippa.

It is a shame that psychologists are not really knowledgable about meds they prescribe. 

• Posted

Keep off anti depressants and try distraction techniques instead such as a hobby or exercise.  This may help you more because it is natural. Anti depressants are toxic. I had IBS A due to the stress not not being diagnosed.  Once I got my diagnosis, my anxiety disappeared and I accepted my IBS and my bowel settled down to IBS C again or normal.
    • Posted

pippa -- I wish I could but I have a mood disorder (hard wired) and suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) during the Chicago winters.  I can actually feel the chemicals click in around Oct. before winter sets in.  I think I've been on every SSRI available but my body very quickly tolerates that class of meds. Cymbalta, as I've researched it, is a SNRI not SSRI so it might work for the depression I go thru but I don't know how it may affect my IBS-A, thus my initial post.  Thanx for your reply.

• Posted

Maybe speak to your doctor about your concerns about this medication and IBS A
    • Posted

He was already agreed that I will slowly withdrawal and then try the new med.  I'll know soon enough.  Was just wondering if anyone was on the med and it flare up their IBS.

Thanx

• Posted

Some people get bad reactions to Cymbala wheras others find it helps their IBS as far as I can see from researching.  I suppose that's the same for any med. I haven't yet seen any comments here regarding it though.  Ask your doctor about side effects before taking it and then you can judge better whether to try it. I am sorry I can't be of greater help but your doctor is the best port of call unless someone mentions it on this forum.

I find I react to a lot of prescribed meds so I always check with my doctor what the chances are of me being intolerant to a particular drug.  I have bouts of intense anxiety and I have had short term episodes of depression when my nerves got out of control. However,  I have learned to tolerate my anxiety and the odd spell of depression because I don't want to risk making myself worse.  In my case, this coping strategy has worked. 

• Posted

Hi pippa:  Thanx for your reply.  I'm very happy for you knowing that you have a coping strategy that works for you.  I'm still hunting for one and am optimistic even after all these years because my misery goes into remission when my stress is lowered.  I'm debating this issue about my taking Cymbalta and my doc and I are working together to wean me off of remeron which we both believe is not working.  Because of the way my mind is "hard wired" with a chemical flow situation,  there doesn't seem for me to be able to cope with the panic disorder and seasonal depression without med intervention.  I keep trying.  Congrats again to you.

• Posted

Have you tried distraction techniques like your hobbies, listening to music and light exercise such as walking alongside taking your medication?  Fresh air is very good for your mood.  You could also try deep breathing exercises and meditation to help your panic disorder.  A combination of all these things do help.

Some people also get low on vitamin D in winter. Maybe  get tested for low vitamin D when winter comes. Such a deficiency may be contributing to SAD syndrome. It is very common in Great Britain where the climate can be very variable. I understand the temperatures are arctic in Chicago in winter and can plunge to -50 like Siberia.

When I lived in Scotland and came back from Italy in the autumn, I would be straight back to intense rain and cold and eventually the darkness of winter which began at 3.30 in the afternoon due to cloud cover.  I would feel in mourning for the intense sunlight and heat of Italy and would take six months to cope. My dad used to get moody and depressive because of it.  I used to leave my travelling toilet bag on my dressing table for months to remind me of my holiday.

Since moving to the south coast of England, by the sea, I find the transition from Italy to Eastbourne much easier because we get more sunlight and the climate is much drier. 

• Posted

Hi pioppa:  I hear ya.  Yes, I've tried everything you mentioned as well as light therapy for SAD and PT for balance.  Also, I'm a music freak and take 1.7 mile walks.  I tried meditation but wasn't able to relax.  Also tried Yoga -- didn't help.   I had my D3 and B12 checked this week.  I could use a bit more D3 so doc told me to continue taking 5K iu a day.  I have a genetic predestination for panic disorder and bi-polar depression. So when I type I'm "hard wired" that's what I mean.  How I would love to move to a warmer sunnier climate but....One of my many dreams was to move to Dorset from the US after retirement but... I'm sure I'd have a lot less health problems away from this lousy climate in Chicago.  Thanx for your post.  You always seem to have helpful suggestions.

• Posted

Hope you cam find some respite from your symptoms in the end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.