Cymbalta (duloxetine) to Venlafaxine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

I didn't do well on cymbalta (duloxetine). Initially, I started to feel better, but after a couple of months I started to feel depressed again. I also gained weight.

When I started to withdraw from cymbalta, my weight started to creep up even more. I've always been 7 st, and now I'm 8 st and 5 lbs.

My Psychiatrist wants to start me on venlafaxine, but I'm so worried that I'm going to end up gaining more weight. In the past, I've been on Citalopram and Fluoxetine. None of those worked for me, that's why my Psychiatrist tried the SNRI.

I feel like a complete failure, and am believing I'm unhelpable. Weight gain is a big issue for me, I don't like not being in control.

Can someone please advise. Do a majority gain weight with venlafaxine?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya,

I lost just under a stone in weight the 12 weeks i was on ven, but it did nothing for me so now Im weaning off it and going onto escitalopram.

I have to withdraw from the ven over a week as I ended up at a&e on monday because it had sent my blood pressure to over 200, something else to watch out for.

Take Care

Colette.

• Posted

hi collect

hows you sorry to hear your had problems

why they changing your meds

take care

stefen x

• Posted

Hi, think carefully before starting on venlafaxine. Its not like any other anti-depressant. I am currently trying to get off this drug, 3rd attempt. My GP is supportive but he is not an expert and has admitted this. Trying to withdraw takes time and the side effects of nausea, fatigue, insomnia and dizziness aren't easy to manage, despite a slow reduction, its making a 'normal life' hard.
  • Posted

Hi, I was on venlafaxine a few years ago and didnt have a problem with them. I came off because I felt ok. After a few year's I hit a low again and went on cymbalta for about 6 years. Asked to change last year as I felt they had stopped working and went on sertraline.Within a month I was in hospital after an o.d. but told to stick with it. I got a high after a few week's which I must admit was great but it didn't last and I'm now on mirtazapine which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. I feei constantly low, have put on load's of weight and feel useless and worthless. I also get terrible fits of anger. I really think it's trial and error to find the right one but the trouble is it takes so long to get into your system and feel the benefit (or not) and so long to change if it's not the right one.
  • Posted

My situation is one to do with cost. Because my wife and I fell on rough financial times of late, I asked my pain doctor to change me from Dulox to Venla. Duloxetine costs 60.00 for a month's supply, whereas the Venlafaxine costs 18.00. The Dulox was given me not only for depression but also to help with the pain in my neck and lower back. My question is: Switching from one to other shouldn't cause me any difficulty, right? Thanks very much.
  • Posted

Thanks very much for the help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.