Cymbalta for Fibro

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all, I've had Fibro for 10 years now. Up until this point it has been manageable. My doctor just gave me Cymbalta... isn't that an anti-depressant? Thoughts? Does it really work or is he a quack?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The side effects are really bad for this med, I lost my appetite as well as sense of taste when I went on this, it also gave me night terrors, waking up after such nightmares. I tried it for almost a week but not being able to eat and sleep affected I went back to gp,and was taken off it. I have read really bad things about this, and whilst side effects could be rare, I had quite a few of the bad things, take with caution would be my advice. Good luck
  • Posted

Hello ashley090309

I know that some Doctors like to prescribe certain antidepressants as FM sufferer's are fought to be low in Serotonin. It took me a while to find the right treatment and it took a lot of trial and error. I am now on a combination that suits me.Everyone is different and what might work for one person might not work for someone else but as mentioned by Oompa be mindful and any bothersome side effect should be reported to your GP. The only way that you are going to find out is to try it.

Good luck

Tami60074

• Posted

Yes Cymbalta is an antidepressant but as with all other meds it could be used for different things.. 8 was on it for years to my depression. And it worked well as for fibro I'm not sure

• Posted

I was offered it but declined due to the side effects. I had other meds that I reacted to and didn't want to risk it. I use sam e as a mood regulator and it also helped with my fibro joint pain. You have to find what works for you.

• Posted

I have been on Cymbalta (duloxetine) for a while

The doctor started me on 30mg for 3 months,  I had no side effects  so it was increased to 60mg   It is an antidepressant but helps to relax your legs and body so you sleep better  I take it about 9pm  just one at night.   I also was put on Melatonin 2mg  slow release which is made from a plant and I take  one at night and I find this helps

• Posted

Ashley, I have been on Cymbalta for three years for fibromyalgia and anxiety symptoms. It's a class of and I depressants that works for anxiety, depression and nerve pain, which it was initially put on the market for. It has helped me tremendously with the aches and pains and helps with my anxiety. I am on a low-dose of 30 mg. I will not lie, it is a bad drug to wean off of. I have tried twice to no avail, but that also tells me that my fibromyalgia symptoms need to be managed by medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.