Cymbalta is making my son sick after 18 days and I need advice about taking him off.

Posted , 4 users are following.

His doc put him on 20mg a day for anxiety. He is getting sicker by the day. The doc wants him to stay on but I want him off.

I have read a lot of horror stories about withdrawal. Can anyone advise please. He is 17.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I can see why your GP is trying to get your son to stick with it, as most side effects go away after around 4 weeks or so. If personally found this medication to be very good for anxiety and depression. 20 mg daily is a very low dose so if your son was to discontinue with this medication I don't think he would have to many problems doing so as it's such a low dos and he's only been taking it for 18 days. Everyone is different though. I am currently on 30 mg daily and have been for 5 months. I went upto 60 mg daily for 2 weeks and found it to much for me so just went back down to 30 mg with no effects. In the past when I was on 30 mg daily for around 4 months and wanted to stop my GP said take 1 every alter it days for a week then just stop. There were no issues doing so.

Hope this helps. Oh and remember the internet is full of horror stories. But I've found this medication to be very helpful!!

Regards

Garry smile

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience. I have cut him down to 15mg by removing so excited of the crystals and he said the symptoms have dissipated. We will see the doc today.
    • Posted

Hi I started cymbalta 30mg Aug 5 & I had side effects for a couple of wks but they do go away. I started 60mg about a week ago & found that taking a 60mg tab wasn't sitting well for me. So I started taking 30mg in the morning & 30mg at night. You must give it time for your body to get adjusted to it.

Good Luck

• Posted

I'm using anti psychiatric medicines since last 12 years. My age is now 43. My parents, 2 of my brothers and a sister of mine is also using these medicines. Some of my close friends and other people whom I know are also using anti psychiatric medicine to treat depression, anxiety or even schizophrenia.

Please note that all of these medications usually increase anxiety during the first 3 weeks and you will notice positive changes only after using this medicine for at least 25 days. So I would like to suggest you not to stop the medication until your son has used it for 25 days. Moreover, please also note that the side effects of these medications are more severe in teenagers and you must be always alert to help and support your son.

• Edited

hi there I'm sorry to hear your son is having a tough time

through my own horrendous experience if taking deluxotine for nearly a year. at first it helped with my fybromyalgia pain. then I'd get dizzy days as I'd call it. it would feel like I was been pulled to one side. but put it down to yet another sympton of fybromyalgia ,then after taking cybalta( deluxotine) for almost a year. I soon started having fybro flare ups again. and began researching about deluxotine and realised that the dizzy side effects and sickness I was suffering with was actually from cymbalta.

I'm currently withdrawing bad from not taking it. I'm at the end of my week one with no none at all. I have weaned myself off of it from 90mg then 6omg to 30mg. then would take a small tablet each night out of the capsules now I'm off of it. and dont I know it. Since reducing my dose ive have been having like weird wobbly brain zaps and severe dizziness, nausea, terrible suicidal thoughts and depression. the less I take the worse the side effects. my dr seems to not know a thing about this medication which is so frustrating and wants to treat me for vertigo. yes I do amit it feels like I have vertigo. I am a mum to a 3 year old boy and the past 2 weeks have been so hard. my partner works 12 hours a day and I have no1 to have my son. luckily he goes to nursery mon n fridays.

I really hope ur son doesn't have has much trouble as I'm having. they are the sh*ttest medication ever. and should be banned. the drs should not be dishing out this medication to any one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.