Cyst on L5-S1 Sciatica sufferer for about 5 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

I recently was diagnosed, after an MRI, with having a cyst on L5-S1.  I had unbearable pain along my left leg/buttock.  My cyst was removed with a needle, basically popped and then the cyst disintegrated.  The procedure was done by a neuro radiologist (I'm in my fifties and in the US).  My problem is that I still have pain mainly in my buttock and back thigh.  I also have numbness in these areas all the way to my tiny toes.  The doctors say it's because they also injected me with steroids and probably have some pressure on the nerve because of it.  They encourage me to be patient.  It's been 10 days and no relief.  I have being on opioids or Tylenol with cortisone (they work really well) but I don't want to become addicted.  I bear the pain as much as I can but when I have to work, I need to take them.  It doesn't really affect my work - it actually makes me very pleasant to work with.  Should I believe the doctors?  Has anyone had a similar occurrence?  

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

you can believe the Doctors if you wish & that's what they want you to do, its called "kicking the can down the road" ...however you are in the USA so you should be able to get the treatment you really want, in the UK because we have to rely on the NHS we get continually fobbed off by GP's & consultants.

The good news is you say you have only had this for 10 days, if you are lucky it will ease in time & it maybe go away completely so don't panic yet, give it more time to settle, but try and stay of the prescribe meds.

• Posted

Pain killers are all very  well, but they merely mask the cause, so you never know if you are getting better ..Not a lover ,or much of a user of prescription drugs , I have just endured and am still enduring, though thankfully nearly at the end of,about of Sciatica  I had unbelievable pain, was given a variety of pain killers ,which ,after reading the "Side effects " were left in their wrappers. I use Alternatives ,minerals and vitamins ,and Paracetamol ,I yelped a lot ,but kept moving .and now have a small area under bum ,that is hanging on I am , a physio ,,privately  who is pretty good ,he also makes me yelp.  but for the right reason, he knows where the probs are

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.