Cyst or UTI????

Posted , 1 user is following.

hello 😃

I've had what I thought was a UTI / Cystitis for the last 3 days with no other symptoms apart from the urge to go to the toilet all the time, a weird musty smell and lower abdomen pain, i'm still managing to pass lots of urine after drinking water so i dont think there's any retention, there's no lower / side back pain and i generally feel well and am still able to workout and do my normal activities

I don't think this is normal for a UTI as I keep seeing the main symptom is pain while passing urine which I haven't had at all, this is the first time I've had anything like this. I do have PCOS and I think my symptoms seem to match a ruptured / enlarged cyst more?

Today, the frequent urination, the smell and lower abdomen pain has subsided a lot (not completely) however I now have a dull pain on the left of my pelvis (i imagine where my ovary is) that seems to have got slightly worse than the last 2 days, it doesn't hurt to touch it's just uncomfortable and comes and goes and paracetamol eases the pain

I've spoke to the doctor on video call, she says i look and sound fine and as it doesn't hurt to press my pelvic / abdomen just to take antibiotics for a UTI and see how I am in 3 days but she said she doesn't know if its a cyst or a bladder infection without a physical examination which she doesn't recommend at the moment with the virus and everything, she recommended 'watchful waiting'

I hate antibiotics, they make me feel ill and i'm so scared of developing antibiotic resistance god forbid. I don't see the point in taking them if I feel fine and the main symptoms have improved but I have them on standby just in case

if it's an infection -do you think it would be dangerous for me to not take the antibiotics and wait it out for a few more days just drinking water and taking paracetamol for the pain? on the other hand if it's a cyst- is it dangerous to leave a ruptured / enlarged cyst untreated?!?!

I am so conflicted, has anyone had these symptoms that have eventually disappeared on their own and how long does it usually take?

thanks 😃

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.