Cystic acne

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anybody offer some advice regarding hormonal acne pl? Getting desperate for adult daughter who is really depressed due to relapse. She is 43 and during her life time had three lots of accutane. Last one was in 2007, Her acne has come back, they are cystic ones mainly on chins and are so painful. I do not know what advice to offer. DUAC does not seem to help. She does not wants pills if she can avoid it. She is considering seeing a herbalist and exploring alternatives therapy. Has anybody tried anything else with success . DIET OR SUPPLEMENTS? CHINESE MEDICINE OR DERMATOLOGIST privately as do not think gp will refer her. She cannot even get appt to see gp she is seeing the nurse. Seeing a dermatologist or chinese practitioner cost about the same £200 for consultation. It is affected her psychologically and any advice and tips from fellow sufferers will be greatly appreciated She is often tearful on the phone with. Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

so sorry to hear that your daughter is suffering so badly. I don't have any answers I'm afraid but would push your GP to make a referral to a dermatologist.

I paid to see a Dermatologist initially and it really was a waste of money she didn't tell me anything different to what the NHS dermatologist has told me. They both advised 3 mth of antibiotics as a starting point, but that hasn't helped in any way and I still haven't had a full diagnosis so don't know what is causing my problem. I really believe it depends on who you see.

Like your daughter I am now tempted to go down the herbalist route to see if there's anything I can take or avoid to help with my condition.

I hope she gets sorted soon.

• Posted

I have the exact same problem and there are a couple of things that help. Diet is really important, if she could give up dairy, sugar and alcohol, her skin will improve. The thing is it is very difficult to do if she likes one or more of the 3! I love wine and cheese and if I were to give them up my skin would clear up a lot. I manged to be vegan for about a month ate all natural foods and gave up alcohol and my skin was so good, but it is really hard to stick to after a while. Cutting down at least will help a bit. I have heard processed foods and trans fats are bad as well. Green tea and lots of water is good though.

I have polycystic ovarian syndrome so my body produces too many male hormones. Has she ever been tested for PCOS? I don't know if she has the perimenopause yet, but this can make acne worse as her hormones will be changing just like they did at puberty. The sun or even sunbeds help my skin but I know thats not for everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.