Cystitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

i seem to get cystitis after drinking too much - I love my wine!  But maybe becoming dehydrated.  Anyone else get this?  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny, when I first got IC a year ago my gyn gave me a handout on foods/bevs to avoid. One of the beverages on the list is wine. In researching further, I found organic wines with no sulfates are infinitely better to drink...the symptoms are not as bad (for me, at least) and have not brought on a flare. A few weeks ago my well meaning husband brought home a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio...alas it was not sulfate free. I drank it anyway because after all, it was a good bottle and I couldn’t resist. Within an hour I was in horrendous pain! I watched that bottle linger on the countertop until I had to toss the rest down the drain. So yeah, you do have to be careful. That said, I haven’t had any problems thus far with vodka or Irish whiskey. 
    • Posted

Thank you for that.    Interesting about the sulfates.    I do believe it is the wine as I don't drink caffeinated drinks.    I have switched to the odd whiskey ad that seems ok!

• Posted

All the self help sites for cystitis say to avoid drinking alcohol if you suffer with recurrent cystitis, I used to drink about 6 strong cups of coffee a day (yes I know it's not the same) but when I knew it could aggravate the condition, I gave it up completely, I will do anything within reason to stop that awful feeling.

• Posted

yes, you are right.   Will give alcohol up for a bit and give my bladder a rest! Thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

Thanks God! First I ve got it on Monday after drinking a bit too much over weekend 😯 I don't get drunk don't get me wrong but 2 large in a pub with meal then a battle with the X FACTOR. 😂 

The same may be a month ago  but now just feel my bladder. Don't need to run for wee.  I'm 44.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.