Cystitis and topical estrogen?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, Fellow-sufferers,

I've recently read a magazine article that suggested topical, vaginal estrogen for the prevention of post-menopausal cystitis. Does anyone have any experience of using this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My urologist put me on a oestrogen cream which I use insert twice a week into my vagina.

This has helped but not cured the condition.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, Busylizzie. It's disappointing that this treatment only has limited effect.
  • Posted

My name is Michelle I'm 53 and not sure if I have Interstetial Cystitis. I do have horrible pain either from my urethra or clitoris area. The pain comes on suddenly and I have to take pyridium an anelgesic to remove pain. I can't live my life like this. Does it sound like I.C? I've seen a Urologist who gave me medication for OAB Don't no why. What medication or suggestions do you have. The Urologist wants me to have a Cystoscope test and I read nightmares about people doing the test with local anesthetic and experiencing major pain. If I have to do one to feel no pain I guess I have to be sedated but scared if I don't wake up. Any advice? Michelle

• Posted

Hi

I too had post menopausal cystitis and my doctor has put me on 1/2 gram of topical estrogen cream 2 times a week...also my urologist told me to take a probiotic..both of these treatments have helped me out alot...

• Posted

I am not able to use this as I had endometrial cancer (had total hysterectomy) also we have estrogen dependant breast cancer in our family, I'm taking Probiotics which fingers and toes crossed seem to be helping, I'm 2 months without any symptoms of UTI.

• Posted

I have been using Vagifem pessaries twice weekly for about a year now, whilst they dont cure cystitis they certainly help prevent it occuring .  They are the gold standard for women suffering from Vaginal atrophy which occurs post menopause and leads to recurrent cystitis.  You certainly havent anything to loose by trying it .  I also take DWaterfall Manoose as a preventitve measure .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.