Cystitis/ urine infection- no infection now but still feel weird!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had typical symptoms of cystitis come on 24 hrs after sex about a month ago.  Went to an out of hours doctor because it was the weekend & I was in pain. They gave me 3 days of antibiotics. These helped the burning almost immediately but after taking them I still had discomfort & felt like I wasn’t satisfied after urinating. 

Nurse said over the phone to continue the antibiotics I was on for another 4 days but I went into see a doctor as I was concerned and was then prescribed Trimethoprim for a week instead as this has always worked for me. This is when things got weird because the sensation wasn’t going away (and no burning etc came back) but I felt terrible. No energy etc. 

After this week I still didn’t feel right & doctor said it could be residual irritation & overactive bladder but because my bladder felt sensitive to touch a doctor put me on a week more of Nitrofurantoin. I felt absolutely horrific taking these! 

Fast forward.. after stopping them I got my energy back after a few days. However, I’m still left with a dragging feeling down below & a tension that makes me need to urinate more often than normal. The doctors have sent off another urine sample to the lab but they started coming back clear about 3 weeks ago & they seem a bit baffled as to why I still feel odd.

Anyone had a similar experience.. does It just take time to feel normal again? Seems odd that it’s turned into such a saga over a pretty uncomplicated uti to begin with. Been checked for thrush, BV etc. All negative. 

I know being anxious about it doesn’t help! But yeah. Any advice would be great. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bella, if you tested positive for infection when you first were seen, then it could be that the infection has cleared, but the residual pain is continuing as your bladder’s still inflamed.  (Imagine getting an infected cut on your skin - you put cream on and the infection clears but you still have wait for the cut to heal) Taking antibiotics if you don’t have an infection isn’t helpful.  If you tested clear for infection or only had inflammation then your best off trying to drink plenty of water or lemon barley squash (NOT the low cal one tho) also stay clear of caffeine, carbonated drinks, chocolate, citrus fruits  and alcohol until the problem resolves.  If it doesn’t improve with these measures then you’ll probably need a referral to a urologist.   With regard to urine analysis testing:  leukocytes + nitritates + blood = infection, whereas: leukocytes + blood = inflammation.   I’m not a doctor but I have a lot of experience with bladder probs (unfortunately!) Hope things improve for you. 
    • Posted

Hi Shirley. Thank you for your response. Yes I was tested positive for an infection at the out of hours I went to, received antibiotics & took 3 days. I still felt uncomfortable and nurse said continue taking the tablets for another four days but because I felt so worried I went back to the doctor and that’s when I was given Trimethorpim (1 week) & then Nitrofuratoin ( 1 week) even though my urine started to come back clear after the Trimethoprim. I still feel uncomfortable after these & I am wondering if I was over prescribed antibiotics tbh. I should have just continued with the first lot for the extra four days/ waited as the 3 days did relieve the burning instantly. Anyway four weeks later I’m still a bit uncomfortable. I will take your advice & have been drinking loads of water smile. Is it normal for it to take so long for the inflammation to go down? I’m wondering if the antibiotics made the inflammation worse! (Especially if they weren’t necessary). Thanks again, Shirley! X

• Posted

Hi Bella, to be honest it probably isn’t normal for it to take this long, except there is some evidence that anti biotics can make inflammation worse in cases of IC.  I’m not saying you have that - and I hope you don’t - there are many things it could be.  I notice that you’ve been referred to a gynaecologist which is good.   They do indeed have a good knowledge of bladder problems as well as gynae probs.  In fact many now do both and are called uro-gynaecologists.  I’m sure he or she will pass you on to urology if needed.  I’m sorry you’re having to wait until August but let’s hope it’s resolved by then.  Just one thing - if you are low in estrogen this can often cause bladder pain issues but I’m sure your gynaecologist will know this.  I wish you well.
    • Posted

Hi Shirley, 

I know that’s what I’ve thought! I’ve had many uncomplicated bouts of cystitis, which always have come on in the same ways for the same reasons and never had an experience like this or any signs of bladder problems at all. So I would be surprised if I had IC. 

Thank you so much- I’m actually on a progesterone only pill so may well be lacking in estrogen. Hopefully it’ll sort soon. 

Best wishes and thank you again!! 

• Posted

Hello Bella I am sorry you are in discomfort it can be very frustrating when you don't know whats wrong. It does sound like it can possibly be IC if all your tests come back normal. My biggest advice would be to try a low acidic diet and drink lots of water to help calm your bladder. Also try to relax I know it can be hard not to stress about your health but stress has a big effect on IC (if it is what you have). Lastly make an appointment with a urologist they can help rule out other things it could be and do a bladder scan. Hope this helps and you begin to feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks Amanda! That’s super kind of you. I’ve acyually been referred to the gynaecologist first because doctor said it would probably be quicker than referring for bladder scans but I will ask to see if I can be referred for that too if I don’t improve! Yes I’m finding it difficult to relax which is probably making things worse! Thank you!!x 
  • Posted

Hi Bella, I'm going to say (been there done that) when I realized something wasn't right was pain and having to urinate all the time. I would go and still feel like i needed to go, I hope that makes sense. So I went to my family doctor who put me antibiotics, it seemed to help some. My urine came back clear though, but he figured it wouldn't hurt. After my antibiotics ran out, it was back. So I made an appt with urologist who confirmed that I have interstitial cystitis (ic). So the moral to this story is to go to a urologist and let him test you. If you do have ic there are things that you can do to relief some of the discomfort. But first get tested, in the mean time look up foods that are good and bad for people with ic. Education on the subject is a must. I hope this helped some, and please feel free to ask anything you want. 😎

• Posted

Thank you Brenda! I will do those things smile. I haven’t been referred to a urologist, just a gynaecologist! And the appointment isn’t until August!! I may speak to my doctor about referring me to a urologist too but I think the gynae unit is familiar with bladder problems too! Take care, thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.