Cystocele and uretheral prolapse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am 41 year old with 2/3 degree cystocele and suspected uretheral prolapse due to pressure, burning feeling and soreness in the area. I want to try to manage symptoms naturally. Someone mentioned using coconut oil? Which symptoms does it help with?

Look forward to some advice.

Thank you 😊

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your too young to live with this without getting repairs. You've got so much life still ahead. It won't ever get any better, but will probably keep getting worse. Grab it now as the worse it gets before going for surgical repair, then the more extensive the surgery is. Plus more likely a better end outcome. There's no stigma in needing surgery.

• Posted

Hi Robyn94818,

Thank you for your honest response.  I understand that my prolapses will only get worse as I age but I am not a position at this point to look into surgery, mainly because I live on an island and getting to good doctors is difficult. 

My reason for wanting to wait as well is that the surgical failure rates are so high. Your point about the level of repairs increasing as I age are very good ones and I must consider these. 

Many thanks!

• Posted

I'm not so sure the failure rate is as high as you've been led to believe. I bet some of that comes down to Surgeon skill. Some cases I've read about that the tape (or mesh) was put in too tight which led to endless probs post-op. (I realise you probably not going to have the tape). That is not good practice to not be able to correctly position the tape. I wonder what failure rates are comparing public hospital ops versus private. I know private is often not even an option for lots of people. I'm in a small country, plus live in our biggest city so it's easy to find out who is the best Surgeon for all my ops to date. Plus am forever grateful for having health insurance. Wow - you live on an island - how super cool is that!! Where are you from?

• Posted

I manage well with sea sponge pessaries and olive oil, with a little Estriol cream thrown in!
    • Posted

Hi Pam143,

I've heard about the sea sponge pessaries but do you know if it will help with the urethrocele? 

How does the coconut help and is it just applied topically to irritated areas? 

What is Estriol cream and what are the side effects?

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post smile

• Posted

Not sure, maybe ask your medical advisor about that?  It works well with cystocele and rectocele.  I haven't heard of using coconut oil but I presume it does the same as olive oil or estriol cream, ie. acts as a non irritating lubricant.  Estriol cream is a prescribed cream containing oestrogen - you're too young to need this,  I think!  No side effects for the post menopausal women who use it.  It is not essential, any non irritating and pure lubricating cream or oil will do and you only need a little.  You can check out Jade and Pearl sea sponges, they need to be the super size ones for prolapse,  they can be cut to fit though it took me three attempts to cut the right size!  I hope you find a solution soon.

On the  subject of surgery - I did ask my gynaecologist about the potential of permanent pain after surgery, and about the need for more surgery later.  On both counts she said it was a common occurrence and that they ask patients to sign a form saying they accept these risks before surgery is performed.

I hope this helps!

• Posted

It is UROGYNAECOLOGISTS you girls are seeing once surgery becomes imminent, not just a Gynaecologist? I certainly never had possible pain complication post-op scenario even mentioned at any stage during the pre-op or post-op from having my cystocoele repaired, let alone signing anything to limit their liability! Jeeez this screams of incompetent surgeons to me!
  • Posted

In january I had surgery to repair a 2/3 degree cystocele and a rectocele.  Before that I tried a pessarie (not sea sponge) and it caused incontienance and was not comfortable.  I tried exercises to tighten my pelvic muscles.  I used fractionated coconut oil to relieve the discomfort. When I continued to get more uncomfortable, I decided to have surgery.  I had heard about the failures with surgery but was so uncomfortable that I decided to try.  I haven't been back to the doctor but I think something has fallen in the last month.  The doctor who did my surgery was a very capable GYN urologist.

I have a friend who has used a pessarie for over 20 years and is in her 80's.  It works well for her.  She goes to the doctor every 6 weeks for him to take out, clean and replace.  My doctor taught me how to take mine out and replace but I just wasn't built to use one.

Good luck with your serach for a solution.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.