Cystocele rectocele surgery. Is this much pain normal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone. I have been reading other posts with interest and I am hoping for help and reassurance.

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago today. Cystocele rectocele tvt.

I was kept in 3 nights and given Advil and Tylenol together every 6 hours. When the pain got very bad I was given supeudol. When discharged I was also given a prescription for supeudol.

I came home with catheter in and had it removed on the Sunday. I had trouble peeing so they kept putting it back in. One time they accidentally used a late one and it was in 6 hours before being noticed. I am allergic to latex.

I have used all the supeudol and had to call the doctor today and ask for more pain relief. I opted for codeine as the supeudol is narcotic and I worry about addiction. I already suffer from depression.

I was hoping by 2 weeks that the pain would be lessening. But it isn't.

I spend the days laying down as sitting is far too painful. Whenever I stand up it feels like my insides are being ripped out. I don't know how much longer I can handle this for. I lay in bed sometimes sobbing it hurts so much. I had a small movement yesterday, first one since surgery. They gave me an enema in hospital.

How long will this pain last for? I am supposed to go back to work next week! Is this much pain normal? Laying here now it feels like someone has stuffed a knife inside me and is twisting it around. I dread getting up to go pee as the pain will exhaust me and I will be in agony for ages when I lay down again.

Any assurance is greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh no Jill. You shouldn't be in that much pain. Firstly I think your intestines are too full of Poo and that will be pressing on wounds. Are you eating & drinking really well? Are you serious that you've only been once in 11 days? That's not good if it's the case. Are you on stool softeners? You really must go see a Dr. And secondly, with repeat cathetisations, maybe you have an infection? I did post-op and didn't have the usual signs and symptoms. How much discharge have you got? Are you peeing normally when you get on loo?

• Posted

I seem to be peeing normally. I need to sit and wait a few minutes for more to come out but have such a heavy feeling when I go.
  • Posted

I agree, this is not normal to not be moving your bowels except for such a small amount.  It sounds silly, but it isn't.  You should be on still softeners and should take Dulcolax tablets orally or Mag citrate to move them.  Codeine btw will just stowe you up even more... best of luck.  So sorry you are in so much pain.  Once the bowel thing gets sorted out, I promise, it will get better.  

Love from Texas 

Sherry

• Posted

Hi there. I had a rectocele, entrocele with perinium repair (sorry for the spelling) back in February. I too was in a lot of pain Because I hadn’t had a bowel movement in 4 days, the pain was soo bad I was re-admitted to hospital where I was given a cocktail of stool softeners, laxatives & 2 enimas, I eventually had a bm. My codiene was stopped as this is classed as a narcotic which will bung you up, I lived purely on paracetamol for the pain. I can say from my experience that I had a lot of pain for about 4 weeks so it’s not uncommon for you to be in pain. I would suggest you go see your doctor as not opening your bowels is probably pushing against your stitches which that in itself is painful.

I do hope you get some relief very soon, all the best x

• Posted

Poor you! I've not had my surgery yet but seen on here that prune juice/prunes are good and also flax seed I think it was. Pain is awful - hope it improves soon! Xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone for the replies. Yes it would make sense that there is a lot of pressure because of the constipation. I have started taking a stool softener and using metamucil too. The Dr wants to see me but there is no way I could manage the journey right now even though it is only 20 minutes away. I have always suffered from constipation. For years now which is partly why I had the prolapse from all the straining. I also have diverticulitis. I lay awake for hours last night feeling that I needed to go but nothing moving. I dread the thought of another enema. The one they gave me in hospital made me feel dreadfully sick.

• Posted

Ohhhh, it's rather worrying that you were already prone to constipation before surgery but weren't given anything to prevent it post-op. In fact you should really have been on a few things days before surgery. Did your Dr. & hospital not even discuss this issue? If you still haven't been you are going to have to go to Dr. The longer you resist, the worse it's getting. You seriously need to go to the Dr. 

• Posted

After reading other people's stories I am also surprised I was not given anything for my bowels. I even mentioned my problems in my pre surgery appointment. I tried to ring my Drs today but the message says they are in but not answering the phone today. To call back tomorrow :\

• Posted

To be quite honest, I don’t think they do prepare you when it comes to your bowels & having the op, I wasn’t. I’ve suffered with constipation from my early teens (I’m now 39) I’ve taken fybogel twice a day since & was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago. I also have a small glass of prune juice every evening. The only reason they found my rectocele was because I went to my docs because I hadn’t opened my bowels for 3 days.

I wish I had come across this forum before my op, & I hope that ladies with the same issues come across it too, it could give them an insight as to what to expect.

Wishing all you lovely ladies a full recovery 😌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.