Cystocele recurrence

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, last June I had prolapse repair surgery - anterior, posterior and surgery to lift the womb. I had a very slow recovery including 4 days in hospital due to an infection. For the last few weeks I have had an aching dragging sensation in my vagina and difficulty in fully emptying my bladder with a constant feeling of wanting to wee. I went to the Drs today and she said I have a grade one cystocele and has referred me back to the hospital. Until I see the consultant I'm not sure what he next step will be and would be interested in hearing from others who have been through a similar experience.

thankyou xx

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Oh Wizzie, I am so sorry to hear this! That is why you told me to not do much at all! My heart goes out to you hun. Please keep us posted on what they say. Will keep you in my thoughts!
    • Posted

hi Sassy - yes please just rest as much as you can! Ithought I took it easy but maybe I should have rested even more than I did!!  Let us know how you get on - sending massive hugs.xxxx
  • Posted

Hi whizzy I had cystocele and rectocele repair February last year slow recovery with a few problems repair has now failed been referred back to consultant got appointment for next week I don't want to go through surgery again will wait and see what she can suggest x

• Posted

Hi Karen - oh no, I do feel for you😢. The thought of going through another op is too much but then again I can't put up with feeling like this all the time. Please let us know how you get on - sending massive hugs xxxxxx

• Posted

I think the problem is we are all different with regard to extent of prolapse and therfore extent of surgery, so it also follows that we all have different limitations and as individuals we have to learn what we can or can't cope with.

My prolapse was extensive as was surgery and failed first time round, been very different thus time and repairs holding up better this time as I was more aware that I really had to be careful in early months of recovery. I was told if I cause any down pressure it will fail so really being as protective as I can thus time.

My main problem is trying to keep my fitness levels up as the gym is a no go area, and although I swim, walk and cycle I am limited to how much I can do.

Really difficult to maintain a good quality of life, I have to keep reminding myself that many women have been left much worse off than me and some are in wheel chairs.

Up here in Scotland many older ladies were left extensively damaged by cheap mesh they were importing from eastern country. They have stopped using it now and I believe on specially trained urogenycologist's allowed to work with these kind of repairs. So glad I waited till much later before going for surgery as these problems all sorted now. But feel for many of yhe older ladies who opted for mesh and left with problems.

Anyway as time goes on who knows what amazing things they will be sale to do !

Hope you get something suitable sorted, meanwhile try and protect snd prevent things from getting any worse.

Take care?

Phyl x

• Posted

I STILL deeply believe that the extent of your previous repairs plus latest would absolutely have me realizing that I will never return to most of the excercise you seem determined to keep up. I got shot down your first time around at your determination to cycle again and I stand very firm on that score. Depends whether that persuit is more important than forever protecting extensively delicate multi-surgery area!!! I sure am 100% on what my going forward decisions would be!!
    • Posted

Hi Robyn,

I do appreciate your concern and you are right that I do have to be very very careful.

I was told by physio trained in pelvic floor conditions that swimming is good to do without putting presssure on pelvic floor and while walking is good too; hill walking is better. As for the cycling I only do light easy routes and avoid cycling uphill ( I get off and walk). But I will take on board your commercial on cycling; as yet not been out cycling since last repair. I would hate not being able to do this as it keeps my heart health as well as aleviating problems with feet, knees and legs. Physio did says cycling moderately would be fine.

Anyway I am at much higher risk of failure again at work where I constantly have to remind them I can't be on my feet for long periods and at checkout I am aware of light things that are OK to shift and heavy things which I don't touch and use my hand scanner. The problem is the in between things that are not obvious light or heavy and it's mainly trial and error finding out what you can cope with and as many of us know you overdo it before you realize. It's murder on a heavy day where everyone wants help to pack and the seat your on is broken and therfore no real support.

So am looking for something more suitable, not easy at my age; who wants ylyo employ someone with pelvic floor repairs with various restrictions.

Unfortunately I need to keep fit and mobile at my age and would stiffen up and pile on weight if I don't do some firm of low impact; as my lovely 96 year old neighbour says the armchair us your worst enemy.

Thank you again Roby for your concern and I will take your comment on board and reconsider the cycling. My biggest worry just now is my shoulder which gas stiffened up with long periods on the checkout, have been referee for physio for that been attending for last couple of months. Last time they changed the red elastic stretch bands to green for stretching exercises and finding the green highly resistant and causing down pressure on pelvic floor so can't completely do the full stretches. Had appointment cancelled today so won't see physio for another 2 week's.

Difficult to know what to do I need to function at work and for that matter at home, when your shoulder stiffens up you can hardly dress, you don't realizability how staying fit and health is so important to everyday living.

Anyhow hope you are well yourself Robyn ,

Take care

Phyl x

• Posted

I guess I'm distressed at you having to have repeat repair surgery as you have such amazing drive and great attitude to future & staying your best possible. Ageing sure isn't kind!! Your worst bodily weakness appears to be pelvic floor. Sad for sure. Each surgery weakens the area further. Life ain't fair. Sacrifices have to be made. I'm fine inside lady area! Well...... hope so. Seems to be. Argh!! Fingers crossed.

• Posted

Glad to hear that things are fine for you Robyn. I do understand where you are coming from but so difficult to get a balance between being fit enough to have some quality of life and protecting pelvic floor from further surgery. I definetely do not want further surgery if it can be avoided, as you says every time pelvic floor weakens further and their is also problem of too much scar tissue preventing furthar surgery so don't want to have too much surgery.

Thing is I still have at least another 9 and a half years till retirement and need to keep body mobile, I don't think life is worth living if you are so restricted that you're quality of life is seriously compromised. The extreme being overweight, unable to barely move or work and barely able to breathe ( I'm probably over dramatising here), but on other hand to be left with collapsed pelvic floor and unable to have more surgery would end in same outcome. I suppose I'm just trying to strike a balance in the middle somewhere. Who would be a women if we had a choice?

Thanks again for your concern and I will seriously reconsider the cycling, I had hoped last year to get back out but knew if I was struggling at work its was definitely a no go area so was hoping this

spring to get back on track but recent chest infection with coughing fits has put cycling on hold just now. Will have to see how pelvic floor is once coughing settled down and wait to see what physio says about use of resistance bands for shoulder.

I have found the use of estriol amazing and the internal walls have thickened up and definitely think it has helped this repair to take as good as it has, whole area feels stronger. So here''s hoping this one will last. Pretty sure it was being on my feet at work that brought everything down again as I was left with very mild prolapse after 1st surgery and coped well on checkouts for 2 and a half years, then they moved me on to my feet at self scan area and that's when it got progressively worse as the weeks went on. Was so upset this time when they again left me on my feet for full shift at self scan area 3 Sundays in a row. That was when the scar tissue problem started.

Anyway employers should have clearer guidelines from occupational health workers who in turn need to be better trained and should represent the employees properly too.

Sorry, having a rant now it's the politics and economics of the situation that gets to me, too many competing interests and no clear guidelines for women in this situation.

Take care,

Phyl 💖

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.