Cystocele repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

i just had anterior and posterior cystole repair surgery three days ago and had to come home wearing a catheter because my bladder doesn't completely empty.  Has anyone else had to do this?  

I am also having a hard time sitting down in a chair, have lots of pain.  

Thank you. Frances 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

• Posted

Hi Frances I'm 3 weeks post op I'm still having trouble sitting down , as for my bladder it's absolutely fine now takes longer to wee tho , recovery is going well just don't rush urself ur bladder should be ok in a couple of days
    • Posted

Thank you.  It sounds like you didn't need a catheter.  This is hard to deal with.   
  • Posted

Hello frances. I'm sorry you're having a lot of pain. I remember what it was like and found that by regularly taking my pain killers did help. You also need to ensure you have your bowels opened regularly but you will have pain, you've had major surgery and during your operation your pelvic floor will have been pulled about. You also have internal stitches as well. What pain relief are you taking? Regarding the catheter. It's quite common to be discharged with one because the ward need your bed and patients usually recover better at home. I presume you have to go back to the hospital very soon. It's early days frances so try and get as much rest as you can.
    • Posted

I'm on Percocet for pain.  It was because my bladder wouldn't empty completely.  
  • Posted

Hello Frances. I am 5 weeks post op. I came home with a catheter too. It was awful, I hated it. Up in the night to empty the bag and I could hardly walk. Was terrified the bag would overfill and burst. I went to have it removed after a week but they tested my urine and I had an infection so they wouldn't remove it. I was in bits, just wanted the thing off me. Had antibiotics and the infection cleared and I had the catheter removed after another 5 days. I was a different person once that was out and recovered quickly. Good luck, I promise you things do get better. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine

I'm so happy to hear that it does get better! I hate this bag and making sure I bring it with me!

I have some blood in my urine

Did you have that?

Thank you again. I can't wait to be well.

• Posted

Hi Frances sorry it's taken a while to reply. Yes I noticed blood in the urine but I didn't do anything about it.... When I went to have the catheter removed I told the nurse about the blood and she said straight away that it sounded like an infection. I cried my eyes out. Cos I had noticed the blood 4 days before. So I urge you to speak to your GP now and get it tested so that you can start antibiotics before they remove it. I went back to work this week after 4 weeks post op, and I am shattered but fine. You will get better again. Xx
    • Posted

I went back to the nurse today and they tested me to see if they could remove the catheter. So excited that I was able to have it removed!!!

I am on leave from work for 8 weeks. Are you sure you are able to get back so soon?

I think some of my blood is from surgery that is what I was told.

Now if I could just sit down without pain. The car ride to the doctors office was miserable!I prefer to stay in bed!

Thank you and get well soon.

• Posted

That's great that it's off you already!!! I had pain sitting and walking for about 10 days post op. After 2 weeks I felt really well. I was told 8 weeks off work but I couldn't stay at home all that time. I spoke to the GP and he agreed I could go back after 4 if I really was ok. It's fine cos I work in a school and have a desk job, so although I've been back this week I am off next week for half term! Hope the pain eases soon for you. It makes such a difference to be able to sit normally!!
    • Posted

I was so happy for that awful thing to come off!!!

I'm glad that you are able to return to work so quickly, just try not to do too much and take it a little easier than you normally would.

I have at stand at my job so it wouldn't work for me.

Keep me updated and I'll do the same.

I'm thinking I can go out to eat tomorrow since I don't have that awful thing strapped to me! I was afraid my dogs were going to jump up on me and pull it!

Thanks and take care.

• Posted

Hey I know what you mean about the dogs! I have a cat who likes to sleep by my feet and I was worried he would put a claw through the bag too!!

i hope you have a speedy recovery. Take short walks to start with. I went for a walk after the bag was off, but could only get so far!! 

• Posted

Thank you and hope you are feeling great.  

I am not able to go out to eat, I am having a problem with fecal incontinence and diarhea which I didn't have before.   This has me worried.  

Thanks.  

• Posted

Oh Frances what a pain for you! Are you taking too many laxatives? I'm still on laxatives, if I didn't take them I wouldn't be able to go at all. 

• Posted

Hi Lorraine

I was taking a stool softener as the doctor suggested but I have stopped it. My husband got me Imodium and that has helped me a lot. I was afraid and concerned that I was going to have a worst problem or if something got damaged during surgery. I don't want to go to surgery again.

Sorry I said that like I did but I was having a problem. Surgery was very scary for me and can't believe I went through it! Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Frances! I haven't been on the site in awhile, but was thinking about you and wondering if you had surgery yet. 

So happy you were able to get catheter out. I didn't have one after this surgery, but did in the past and really disliked it!

Hope you are doing well. Take it easy and get plenty of rest. 

I'm 17 weeks post op from anterior repair...my how the time flies! 

Will keep you in my prayers, take care!

Trish

• Posted

Hi Trisha,

i finally did it!!!   I was so scared but knew I couldn't live my life with the prolapse or with a pessary!   

How are you doing?  I have been thinking of you too. 

Did you have problems sitting down, I can't sit without it hurting so bad.  I spend most of my time laying down in bed.  

It sounds like you are happy with your surgery and feeling great.  

Its so nice to hear from you!  You were a big inspiration for me to get my surgery done.  Thank you and God bless.  Take care.  

• Posted

Hi Frances, 

Happy for you that you had the surgery and are now on the mend. 

I only had the anterior repair, (posterior repair was 30 years ago and still holding strong!) so, sitting was not as big of an issue for me, but it was an issue for a while. It wasn't so much pain as it was an ache and sore. Actually it still is sometimes, mostly on long drives. I just arrived back in North Carolina from Indiana Friday night...I drove 12 1/2 hours, stopping only for gas, food (eating in the car) and potty stops and I'm still sore today, 4 days later. You would think at 17 weeks post op it would be okay. Felt like I was riding a horse. BUT, I do still have a stage 1 anterior prolapse, so that might be part of the problem sad  

You're about 1 week post op, right? At the stage you are at, I spent most of the daytime kicked back in my husband's recliner and in bed for afternoon naps. Sitting up like normal definitely wasn't the most comfortable position. Remember, it's normal to feel good one day and maybe not so good the next. Even if you feel good, DO NOT stand in the kitchen and cook or do dishes, sweep, mop or vacuum the floor (yah, I did that....huge mistake, paid for it for several days!), go to a party and stand for hours because you feel okay (yep, did that too at 1 week post op, and that is when my prolapse reappeared...no one had told me not to stand a lot, and I felt good, so...big mistake. Doctor said that's not what caused it, but I still wonder...) Don't do things because you feel good and look good, and you don't want people to think or feel you are being lazy, and that includes you! It will set you back, you have had a major operation and can look and feel like a million bucks, but your insides are still healing. Be good to yourself and try to enjoy your little vacation ( I use that term loosely!). It'll be worth it!

Yes, overall, I am happy with my surgery. I wish the prolapse was completely gone, but hey, it's 55 year old post menopausal tissue they were working with and I'm happy NOT to have mesh used, and the results are soooo much better than what I was dealing with before.

Did they use cadaver tissue in your surgery or was that someone else? If I end up going through it again, I think I would check that out. 

Well, I hope you are having a good day! 

Prayers and blessings to you!

Trisha

PS: Saw the wedding pics on FB... beautiful bride and beautiful Mom smile

• Posted

Hi Trisha,

yes, they used the cadaver tissue.  It's called A Cell and it is supposed to form a strong bond with my own tissue and disappears in about 3 months.  

I remember your telling me about the party you went to and had a problem.  I'm invited to a Halloween party on Saturday but I think I might stay home.   

I am trying to take it easy and not put any pressure on my bladder but I still end up urinating very often.  Did you have that too?   

Yes, my surgery was one week ago.  

I think it can take longer than they tell you to completely heal.   

I didn't realize you had a repair 30 years ago and it is still holding up, that is really great.  

Thank you on the wedding, I wanted to get my daughter's wedding done before I had surgery.  

It is always great to hear from you!   Thank you and try not to do so much!  You are probably still healing if you still hurt.  I had to stop taking the Percocet they prescribed, it made me feel weird.  

Thank you again and happy you are doing well.  God bless.  

• Posted

Frances, 

Where did the cadaver tissue come from? It's very interesting to me.

Yes, I had to urinate often. During the day I probably went every half hour. At night the Surgeon had me setting an alarm to urinate every 2 hours, for 3 months.  I usually woke up before the alarm because I had to go so bad. Now, I still probably go once an hour during the day (I drink 80-90 ounces of water a day) and only get up once during the night if I don't drink much in the evening.

I still feel the painful pressure if I wait too long and also have strong urgency to get there in a hurry, lol.

Yes, I think it takes much longer to heal than they tell us in the beginning and we are much more limited also. I guess the appointment (at no charge) my surgeon set for me at 9 months post op means there's still healing happening. 

My surgeon checked me at around 2 months post op and I was was having bladder spasms and couldn't completely empty my bladder, so he prescribed some medicine to relieve the spasms and I felt relief immediately. However, I only took it for 2 out of the 4 weeks because it made me so groggy and I felt very odd. I was on it long enough that the spasms didn't come back though and I was able to void completely. 

Taking it easy today. Think I'll settle in and watch a movie tonight.

God bless!

• Posted

Good morning,

i don't know where the cadaver tissue came from, maybe a human or pig from what I understand.  There is some information on the Internet if you look up A Cell.  I sure hope it's safe!   

My next doctor appointment is November 16.  

i did see something that it can be two years before you completely heal.  

I hope you have a beautiful day and thank you.  God bless. 

I still don't think my bladder is completely emptying.  I'm glad you were able to get the bladder spasms under control.   

I was also told not to carry anything larger than a gallon of milk.  

• Posted

Good morning to you!

I will look up the A cell to educate myself, just in case I end up with surgery again to repair the cystocele.

I had seen one year for healing, but didn't want to discourage you, so didn't tell you...lol...two years?!!!..ugh! I can believe it.

Yes, the gallon of milk rule applied for the first 3 months. Now, no heavy or repetitive lifting. I still can't bend over or squat comfortably, but if I kneel on one knee I can do what I need to and easily get back up off the floor. Ah, the new normal for now.

This is the second day of rain, supposed to storm later. Gloomy 😰. I am ready for some sunshine!

Hope you have a wonderful day! God bless!

Trisha

• Posted

Sent you a private message.
    • Posted

I knew it was slow healing, just hope it doesn't come back!!! 

I haven't tried to bend or squat, I don't want to mess me up inside.  

Its a gloomy day here today also, raining off and on.  

Enjoy your day!  Thanks, blessings to you.  

• Posted

It's been almost a week, how are you doing? Hope you are on the mend!
    • Posted

...almost a week since we chatted last. Lol 
    • Posted

Good morning

its two weeks today since my surgery.   I'm doing okay but can't ride in the car, it hurts real bad to sit in the car seat.  I'm still bleeding mostly pinkish and little clear discharge.  

My bowel problem is improving.   I try to urinate often so I don't put pressure on my bladder.  

How are you doing?   I hope all is great for you.  

Thank you for thinking of me!   God bless.   

• Posted

If you are in the UK frances your car insurance is invalid until 6 weeks post op. 
    • Posted

I thought you might be frances. Insurance companies in the UK are very strict when it comes to surgery. Any abdominal or pelvic floor surgery is included in the 6 week ban. The same if a lady has has a Caesarean section. However I do know people don't stick to the ruling however if they have an accident it could cause problems. They say it's because if you need to make an emergency stop you would find it difficult. I have to be honest I didn't drive until about 10 weeks post op because I was so uncomfortable but I had no need to as my husband had recently retired but in some cases needs must such as a mum who has to get the children to school. Anyway frances I hope you are recovering well. Take care.
    • Posted

I never heard of anything like that here.  I haven't driven yet and was told I could drive two weeks post op. I hurt just riding in the car from sitting.  I may try to drive later this week.  

Thank you!  Enjoy your day!   

• Posted

Good morning!

Happy to hear you're doing okay. Yes, riding in the car is tough. I arrived home about 10 days ago from a road trip, driving about 11 1/2 hours in one day...still tough at this stage of the game.

My bleeding and discharge stopped completely at 16 days, so I am hopeful for the same for you.

Good to urinate often to keep pressure off your healing bladder and area. 

I'm doing well and enjoying be back at home and spending time with the grandkids. Try not to pick them up, but can't help myself sometimes smile

Have a blessed day!

• Posted

I'm so happy to hear you are doing well!  

I hope my bleeding and discharge stop soon!  I find myself checking to make sure prolapse hasn't come back!  LOL 

Thank you again for reaching out to me.  God bless. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.