Cystocele Repair Success?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had surgery to repair cystocele and rectocele 2 months ago using my own tissue. I have been going back and forth between feeling normal and not. 5 weeks ago, I had a period of 3 weeks where I felt completely normal and did not even think about everything down there. 2 weeks ago, started feeling some urgency and seemed like I had a minor prolapse. Attributed this to being a week prior ro my period. Since then I have gone back and forth between feeling ok and not. I just always know my bladder is there. I guess that is the best way to put it. Will this get better? Am I still healing? Or is this what my new norm will be? Would appreciate any feedback. I'm only 33. I had a 4th degree tear with my 1st child and 3rd degree with my 2nd child.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm new to all these problem as well. I'm just at 6 week tomorrow. I had stage 4 rectocele and cystocele and the doctor suggested doing bladder sling that was made from pig bladder called a " acell". I really didn't have pain just minor discomfort. But I have had slot of problems with bladder. The heavy feeling of pressure from it nor emptying properly. I can also still see the prolapse, but understand it takes awhile for all the swelling to go down..... One thing I did discover that taking Tynol was effecting my bladder. I quite taking it two days ago and it seems by bladder is working more normal. I didn't have s problem with it before surgergy. I'm older than you, I'm a heathy and fit 50 year old. Now I do worry about the changes I will have to make. I do feel this is something that needs to be talked about, I never heard of it before. Sorry that you are so young to have to go threw this, you may heal easy because of that. I have figured out the more you keep your feet up, the better you feel.... Best of healing to you.wink

• Posted

Sometimes it's normal. I would take it real easy still. I don't think we completely heal for months! If in doubt please see your urogynecogist

• Posted

Sorry to message without any "advice" or "help" I just wanted to comment that we are the same age and it's nice to see someone else our age going through this. Helps me not feel so alone in this journey that's seems like "the blind leading the blind" since we all have such different degrees of prolapse and decide on different treatments. I'm at the beginning stages on see an Urgo and getting properly diagnosed and then be told what my options will be. I'm scared, but want to def get it corrected and not wait years from now just prolonging the inevitable! I hope you make an even better recovery! How are you doing with kids after surgery? Super hard to not do anything. That's my biggest fear. I have plenty of support, but I think it's instincts of Mom to just jump right in and not realize it! God Bless to a speedy recovery??

• Posted

Hi, sorry I can't help or advise, but just wanted to say that after my surgery almost three weeks ago I feel there is so little support for all of us who are or have been through this operation. It seems that no one talks about it! Thank goodness for this way to communicate with others who are going through this!! I was just told don't lift anything heavy and you can't drive for 6 weeks and to rest!! Seeing my gynaecologist at 7 weeks post op but had no medical support since my 2 nights in hospital. Hubby is great and doing all housework etc though. I feel like my bladder is very slow to empty now and like others feel very worried if I get any sharp pains. After reading lots of articles I have become very worried about it re-occurring too. Although I'm 66 I have always been very active and worked out at the gym for the last 33 years. I now have read that a lot of the exercises and classed I have done, even some Pilates and yoga moves put a lot of strain on the pelvic floor and yet we are not advised about this after childbirth. I had stress incontinence after my second child but was taught pelvic floor exercises and have done them religiously since then so that I had no more problems until this prolapse happened recently and quite out of the blue.

Hope everything turns out well for you.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Posted

Hi Ladies, we all seem to be in pretty much the same boat. I agree that there is so little info about how to handle your recovery successfully. Even Dr Google has been a let down until I found this site.  I'm quite surprised at how little I can do at Week 4 of my recovery. I was discharged after 2 days - cystocele and rectocele repair - with a catheter in situ for a week. By day, 3 I had blood in my urine and my GP prescribed antibiotics as I had a urine infection as well as an inflamed perineal stitch line and a nasty vaginal discharge.Now after about an hour of gently 'pottering' about I ache in the pelvic/lower back area and just have to rest.

I'm 63 and hadn't been in great form for months prior to the op due to bowel problems from the rectocele. I feel like a right layabout! Luckily, my husband is retired and has taken over my duties as a 'domestic goddess'..ha!

• Posted

Hi Vball, sorry to hear you are having a bit of a roller coaster ride. My daughter is around your age and had a bad tear with her first child who is now 5. She had a caesarean with her second and will have another baby in the spring by caesarean too. I wonder you did not have a caesarean with your second after such a bad tear? It was pretty inevitable that you would tear again if you had another 'natural' birth? My daughter should have had a caesarian with her first - I was amazed they let her have a vaginal birth as she's a petite 5'3" and her husband is a strapping 6'7"! The baby's head was also in the top centile range?!? She, like yourself - will have to have a repair after the third (and final) baby. I would strongly recommend that you go to see your doctor with regard to the ongoing issues with your bladder. Just to have it all checked out and get some reassurance. If need by, you should be referred back to the consultant to ensure all is as it should be. The plus side of you being young is that you should heal relatively easily/quickly but at 2 months down the line I would expect you to be still healing yet. Had you maybe been 'overdoing' it when you started with bladder symptoms two weeks ago? If you have children it is so easy to just push yourself a bit too hard. Its also so much harder to get the sort of rest you really do need - even at your age. I've been fortunate that my doctor is female and takes the lead with women's health in the practice - she has been a great help. Try to see someone like that when you go if you can....it can make all the difference. Good luck, and good health to you x

• Posted

Two months is still very early days in this type of surgery.

.You should be still taking things very easy, no lifting, no standing for long periods, and at the first sign of tiredness, put your feet up and rest.

it's underestimated how long this takes to get well again.

You had major surgery and your body has to recover.

It will be months- up to a year before you completely feel right.

Don't undo your surgeons good work by doing too much too soon.

Women aren't told what a journey this is by their consultant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.