cystoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm really freaking out about having a cystoscopy. I'm scared of the procedure and the outcome. I'm having it because I keep getting uti's. I have had 6 in the last 5 months.

Any body else had this before?

Regards

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

What are you worried most about?  Pain, what they are going to find or not find?  Sounds like now is the time to see why you are having so many UTIs!  No worries!  Please see what has been written before...I had a cystoscopy just a little over a year ago....was sore for just a very short time (just that day) and was sedated...didn't remember a thing!  Turned out the reason I had numerous UTIs such as you are having, was because I needed to be dilated.  Had a urethral stricture and didn't know it!  All has been well this past year as far as I know!  Please let us know how you do and PLEASE don't worry about the procedure!!!  There is NOTHING to lose sleep over smile

Patty

• Posted

Awww thank you patty56885. I guess I'm scared of the pain but me being the cynic that I, I'm worried it could be something serious.

Just waiting for a date for the procedure.

Thamina

• Posted

Hi, Thamina, just a quick couple of suggestions. Talk the urologist or nurse doing the procedure into inserting the analgesic/lubricant gel as a first step BEFORE they get into small talk and explaining the procedure. This should give the aneshetic a chance to take effect

Next, relax every muscle in your body that you possibly can. I know,

not easy, but just let yourself go all loose.

You women have a much shorter urethra and only one sphincter on the way into the bladder. Big advantage over us men!

I had my cystoscopy done many years ago and I actually enjoyed it. Maybe you can, too? In any event, I wish you well, both for the procedure and the results and, above all else, have faith in yourself!!

Alan

• Posted

Hi,

I just wanted to reassure you that this procedure is not as bad as it sounds. I had it a couple years ago & the worst part by far was waiting for it. I was terrified, but it turned out to be not so bad. Not painful, just a wee bit uncomfortable but over in less than a minute. You can do this!! I also went on this site to ask about the procedure and people reassured me it was not as horrible as I was thinking...and they were right. I wish you the best. They found nothing in mine and probably won't find anything in yours. Best to you and let me know how you dobiggrin

• Posted

I also have been having UTI's on a regular basis.  I was diagnosed with breast cancer almost 2 years ago and was put on the drug so my body won't make estrogen which could be why I get UTI's regularly but I already had  a cystoscopy and it was a piece of cake and showed NOTHING.  All normal!!  Not even a stone. She was so fast and I had absolutely NO pain or discomfort.  Peace of cake!! 
    • Posted

That's piece of cake.  Too early in the morning.
    • Posted

Hi,

Thank u for ur reply. Hope ur feeling I've got a date for 11th April but have to change.

Pray all.goes.well with ur recovery. X

• Posted

Do not worry! I felt the same but really it's an absolute breeze. The whole thing is over in a matter of minutes and there is no pain. Try not to worry!
  • Posted

Hi all, 

thank you for ur responses. i had my flexible cystoscopy on monday and like u all said it was a breeze. it was very quick, i was really nervouse but the dr and nurse were really nice and calmed me down. it was over really quickly. there was no significant problem apart from slight narrowing of urethra, tthey said th will wait and see how i am at next appoinment in 3 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.