Cystoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 60 YO male who had a cystoscopy yesterday at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Fl.  I had a few sleepless nights leading up to the procedure and I can tell you that the fear of the procedure for me was far worse than the actual procedure.  After the urologist’s assistant prepped me by applying  a sanitizer she then inserted a numbing agent through the tip of my penis.  This sounds much worse than it was, albeit a bit embarrassing.  The then asked to relax (easy for her to say) and left and the Dr. came in with her (with another female assistant) after about 15 minutes.  The Dr. had great bedside manners and really put me at ease, explaining exactly what to expect and explaining that he would be inserting water through the scope and I would feel like I was urinating but that was normal.  “Let’s do this” he said, and told me the beginning would be the most painful part.  Before I knew it, he said he was in and this would be super fast.  He turned the monitor so I could watch, and let me see everything he was looking at.  Seeing my prostate was bizarre, he showed me where it was swollen and had a look at my bladder and said everything looked really good except the swelling which is not unusual for a 60 YO.  He removed the scope, and I really had no idea when he did.  The scope was in me for about 2 minutes total.  He thanked me, I returned the thank you, and we spoke after I cleaned up and was dressed.  His assistant told me to expect burning when I urinated for up to 2 days, told me I may pass some blood, and advised me to drink a lot of fluid to wash everything out.  I was a bit uneasy to pee the first time when I got home, but I had absolutely no pain when I did.  I mean zero.  So, for me, by far the worst pain was my own fear of the procedure.  I don’t want to rush out and have it done again anytime soon mine you, but if I have to ever have it done again, I promise you I will sleep fine the night before.  Hope this post helps anyone worried about the procedure.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, John, join the club!!!

Glad to hear that everything went well for you. For a long while I felt all alone in actually enjoying the procedure; in other words, a veritable monster or pervert.Then, thanks to this Forum, I have been able to compare notes with others having good experiences.

So, the real problem seems to be that we are all a little bit shy. True, our libido and sexuality are not subjects for conversation at the dinner table, but are nonetheless major parts of a healthy psyche. If you would like to go into this in more detail please let me know and we can communicate at the PM (Private Message) level and avoid offending any sensitive Forum members.

And John, thank you for your lengthy post! Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

I had that done twice and a biopsy I was scared but after I read up on this I got over my fear plus the surgery center took her good care of me so I was happy no side effects at all from that but people are not alike in that experience.
    • Posted

Hi, Patty,

I'm happy for you that everything turned out for the better! As you correctly pointed out, there are so many variables involved that the results are going to be different for each and every one of us. I was going to draw a comparison with natural child birth but then realized that I know very little about you and, since this is also a contentious area, decided to just shut my big mouth!

Since the issue was resolved, you came from a terrifying situation to a situation that was bearable. I wish you the very best, health-wise and luck from here on out! alan86734.

• Posted

Hello John-I'm Jeff & I do thank you for your post.I had a cysto-scope exam 35years ago-and it was VERY PAINFULL-But the new scopes of today are flexable and much  smaller(my new Urologist showed it to me)and I have not yet-scheduled the test-but after reading your post & talking to my Dr.He assured me I would only feel slight pressure as it passed through my prostate.Thanks again Jeff

• Posted

Cystoscopy is the worst procedure anyone can go threw. I don’t recommend it at all. I don’t understand why we need it I mean can the CT scan and the MRI give you a clear picture of what’s inside of you ?.

I had it done yesterday around 4 pm and it felt like I was giving birth and after the procedure every time I pee I feel like I’m passing a stone , I went to the bathroom 7 times at night last night and each time was the same painful dilemma feeling. They gave me Uribel to sooth the urinary track infection but I have to tell you it ain’t helping at all. 

I understand that each person has different reaction to this procedure and I understand the age also plays a factor but for me it was like sliding on a salt roller Coster butt naked .

I can tolerate pain but this one  I couldn’t .

• Posted

Hi, samjustshootit

You are one of the unlucky ones The reasons for feeling pain 

are many: sensitive urethra? stricture?  unskilled operator? Take your pick!

Best of luck. alan86734

• Posted

I’m female and due to have a rigid cystoscopy under general In a couple of months for sludge in my bladder and I am completely freaking out. I am SO private about my privates .. and even the thought that I will be asleep doesn’t help, as I still know there will be goodness knows how many people looking at and touching me.  :-( 
    • Posted

Dear Daisy,

You have every right to air your concerns and I will do my best to respect them.

First I would like to cover the issue of lubrication. Ideally some form of lubricant should always be used, but in reality there are times when this does not happen. I suggest you take this up with the doctor who will be attending to you and make quite sure that some form of lubrication is going to be used.

Crowds of people? No, usually it would be the doctor performing the procedure and a nurse. Since in your case this is to be performed under a General Anaesthetic  there will be an anesthetist in the room as well. The gel is introduced directly into the urethra (the tube connecting your bladder with the outside world). This produces anywhere from a strange sensation to some discomfort, neither of which should last more than a few seconds.

I hope that everything turns out to be far less threatening than what you are imagining. I wish you the very best!!!

alan86734.

• Posted

Thank you for your response and the information, Alan - much appreciated  I've written a long email to the surgeon's secretary, asking lots of questions ... she won't appreciate arriving into that on Monday morning, poor thing!  Still on the fence as to whether to have it done, but will see what she comes back with.  Thanks again!

• Posted

Also, does anyone know if they still use the anaesthetic gel if you’re under general? As from what I understand, it is also a lubricant?  In which case how do they erm, apply it to you? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.