cystoscopy and urethral dilation

Posted , 28 users are following.

help !!! i have recently been for a cystoscopy after having persistant uti's .I was told i had a very narrow urethra and was advised to go for a urethral dilation under GA .This is booked for Dec 8th but I have been told horror stories of this not working and I would eventually lose bladder control and would be self catheterising eventually!! Does anyone have any information or experience and if they had it done did it work? I am going out my head with worry and my own GP hasn't been much help by stating it is my decision.I have had uti's and blood in my urine for 19 years.

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Had it done 8 months ago , surgeon said procedure took 3 times longer than usual . Had no problems since procedure . Quailty of life greatly improved , wish I had it done sooner .
  • Posted

I've never heard such horror stories and ive had 2 dialtions but 15-25 years ago. They helped and I might have another next week. Go with it if they are telling you that's what you need. Stop worrying. From what you are saying you need it !

• Posted

HI HEZ64

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT WITH PAIN AND PROCEDURES

I HAD THIS DONE AND EVERYTHING WENT WRONG

BUT IT HAD TO BE DONE IN JULY 2016

I AM 74 YEAR OLD MALE

TRY NOT TO WORRY NHS STAFF WILL DO THEIR BEST 

FOR YOU

WISHING YOU WELL 

• Posted

I am 74 year old male , had my rigid cysto and dilatation done 1 year ago every thing is great now , I have no problems at all , really glad I had it done . Life much better now , no worries when I go out anywhere or travel . Do intermittert self catherterisation but that is not a problem . I just wish I had the procedure years ago .   
  • Posted

Came across this old post and thought to reply for future readers seeing as finding info on females w/narrow urethra (stricture) can be hard. I was diagnosed with urethral stenosis/stricture at age 4 or 5. About age 5 or 6 started getting urethral dilation under general anesthesia once a year for six years. About four of those procedures I awoke with a catheter which was left in for 24hrs then was released that day (one overnight stay). I didn't see urologist again until age 21 for UTIs. Had cystoscopy (?- tube w/camera) and was told there was a lot of scar tissue in urethra ( don't know if it was there before all those dilations). Will see a urologist for the first time in 22 years next week. So having to self-catheterize is not a foregone conclusion or definite outcome after dilation(s). Hope this helps relieve someone's worry.

• Posted

You are quitre right , self catherterisation is not a foregone conclusion , but if necessary it is a very easy and completly painless procedure .  I do self catheterization because my bladder does not empty completly , I only need to do it twice a day to help prevent infection . 
  • Posted

I had the surgery done as a child and then had to have the surgery done again and what I can tell you is that I notice 24 years later slight leakage when I use the bathroom
  • Posted

I’ve had these dilation is done for at least the last eight years there’s no leakage at all the only thing is that now I went from having them done once every six or seven months down to every seven weeks so I don’t know if it’s an age thing or it gets scar tissue I have no idea why but the symptoms have gotten much more severe it feels like you have a bladder infection pain running to the bathroom
  • Posted

Hi l

I know this post was years ago but I am struggling to find answers anywhere and really hope someone on here can help me. I’ve struggled with UTI’s frequently for years and in the last three months it became a constant daily struggle with the symptoms of a UTI- mainly urgency to pee. It becomes a lot worse at night and just constantly have the feeling and use the bathroom every 30minutes to an hour . There was no infection just the symptoms and always a slight stinging and a constant awareness of feeling like I need to wee but in my urethra not from my bladder. Everytime I would exercise or walk a lot it would get worse and as a fitness instructor I love to workout and have to maintain my workouts as it’s my job but I obviously wasn’t able to do so. After a few scans I finally had a cystocopy and urethral dilation five days ago. After the initial soreness I expected to feel some relief but my symptoms are now worse than  before and I feel exactly the same. The doctor said my urethra was very narrow and so they widened it. I had a catbeyher in for three hours after. 

I don’t know what to do! I feel so heart broken because I expected this to be the relief I have been praying for. It also hurts to have sex and whenever I did it was incredibly painful and would almost feel like I had something in there afterwards so I had to stop having sex with my boyfriend. Should I have felt some relief after the dilation? Is this a sign that something is still wrong? I’m at my wits end and don’t know what to do. Thank you. Bella xx

• Posted

Hi there are herbs you can take that will reduce the feeling or urgency to urinate during the night this you’re a Uristatin and there’s a few others there is also the pills that the doctor gives you that makes you P orange it’s like an aspirin AZO for the bladder and then there’s There’s a pill that you take every day the doctor could give you that will take away the urgency but there are natural things the ad so is the one I was referring to you could buy over the counter but of course if it gets worse then you might have a UTI but the herbs I mentioned they will quiet the bladder down try not to drink anything after like 6 o’clock at night that will certainly help and also make sure you drink enough fluid during the day because  there’s a pill that you take every day the doctor can give you that will take away the urgency but there are natural things the ad so is the one I was referring to you can buy over-the-counter but of course if it gets worse than you might have a UTI but the herbs I mentioned they will quiet the bladder down try not to drink anything after like 6 o’clock at night that will certainly help and also make sure you drink enough fluids during the day because if you Don’t that could irritate your bladder anyway I hope some of what I suggested helps have a nice day

• Posted

I had that procedure three times and was back to normal for 6 months to a year then had to do it again

My question how many more times can I have this dilation or do I have to go to surgery to fix the problem 

Would appreciate an answer

• Posted

I had dilation done 3 times  all good   The problem is it recurs again and have to do it again

Unless I go for surgery 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.