cystoscopy and urethral dilation

Posted , 28 users are following.

help !!! i have recently been for a cystoscopy after having persistant uti's .I was told i had a very narrow urethra and was advised to go for a urethral dilation under GA .This is booked for Dec 8th but I have been told horror stories of this not working and I would eventually lose bladder control and would be self catheterising eventually!! Does anyone have any information or experience and if they had it done did it work? I am going out my head with worry and my own GP hasn't been much help by stating it is my decision.I have had uti's and blood in my urine for 19 years.

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am a 30 year old female diagnosed with the urethral stenosis and the treatment is also urethral dilation, because it seems I am not emptying my bladder 100%. I have constant UTI's. I'm scared of it being really painful, and maybe a wrong diagnosis, I've read this is not even common in women, also, about incontinence after getting it done. How did it go for you?
    • Posted

Hi -

I know this is old post but whats the outcome of your orethral dilation , did that work , i will be doing this for the second time and might need to do again and again as in woman there is no permanenet solution

• Posted

Hi everyone, I posted in a previous group about getting a cystoscopy that was supposed to happen all the way back in August, but I didn't get until this evening. I was so frightened anyway about the whole thing and my doctor is awful at telling me information (like next steps and stages etc) anyway I sat down on the table, got the numbing gel and about 2 seconds later everything stopped and I was told my urethra was too small to even insert a camera (i felt quite a sharp jabbing, but i'm not sure i was relaxed at all). I am extremely worried now as I have to go for some kind of dialation and am now petrified and want to call the whole thing off. I can't bare this problem of getting cystits (every three months if not more) getting even worse. Losing bladder control would be the worst thing. I'm so frightened now and have no idea what to do. I'm only 26 (female) but been having awful bouts of cystis since I was 16. Can anyone give any advice? Also what kind of anesthetic do you get? Are you basically put to sleep? I've never been put to sleep before and that also frightens me a lot. Any advice would be really really appreciated. Thank you. 
    • Posted

Hi Hannah,

I had a cystoscopy and dilation yesterday!

The reason you're gp has suggested to go back for a dilation/stretching is because you're urethra is too narrow, exactly the same as mine! (You'll be put to sleep for this).

The reason I had a cystoscopy yesteray was to find out why I kept on getting weekly reoccurring UTIs and why my bladder wasn't emptying properly.

I am a 20 year old female, so am young to get so many of them and this needing investigating.

Anyway, I'll talk you thorough it, bearing in mind I've never ever had an anesthetic before so I was petrified and didn't know what to expect.

Got to hospital, allocated my cubicle (bed and chair) put gown and stockings on, nurse came round to take my blood pressure, oxygen levels etc and put 2 patient wrist bands on me, told me what to do next ie take all make up and jewelry/piercings out/off. Read my magazine for abit, Then half hour later my surgeon came too see me and told me I would be going down within the next 20 minutes! Signed a form and he talked me through the procedure.

20 mins later 2 lovely ladies came round, put me on the bed and wheeled me down to theatre. It kind of felt like a was on a ride/movie being pushed around on a bed. Haha!

Anyway, arrived down this long corridor with lots of operation and anesthetic rooms. I got wheeled into number 19, she opened the door, pushed me in and I saw a small white room with lots of bleeping machines and masks.

I sat up and said no way is that going on me! Nurses reassured me and I asked if i could have a look in the operating theatre to see what I was going into. Nurse opened the door, all the surgeons and assistants came over smiled and waved at me and said I'll be fine. (About 10 off them in there).

I laied down, held the nurses hand, absolutely pooping myself I let the anaesatist put a cannula in the back of my hand which didn't hurt.

Anyway, the next bit was what I was dreading the most! Being put to sleep.

Anaseistist had a big white syringe in her hand containing propofol (which puts you to sleep) and was waiting to injected it into me, I started crying, went all dizzy and basically had a panic attack!

Without me knowing the anaesatist injected a clear liquid before the propofol to relax me and calm me down which didn't work. (Just went abit woozey like being drunk).

Next thing I know I wake up in a big ward with other people around me with 2 nurses by my side. I woke up and had a oxygen mask on which came off as soon as I woke up, and they were checking my blood pressure. I remember I felt like I wet myself, the nurses changed the sheet on my bed which was soaked, it was the liquid the surgeon had filled my bladder with.

Waited about 10 mins till I properly woke up then they wheeled me back to my cubicle, where my partner was waiting for me.

The first thing I said to him was I wanted a McDonald's haha! Then I looked at my phone and had been gone about 2 hours which felt like 2 minutes.

You know I was expecting to feel awful when I woke up, but I was just really hungry and thirsty. My partner went and got me a sandwich which I scoffed down, and nurse got me a big jug of juice. I was absolutely knackered though.

Next step was having a pee, they won't discharge you until you've been to the toilet.

Standing up and walking for the first time after anesthetic was weird. Felt like I was drunk, nurse came with me and waited outside toilet for me.

There was abit of blood, and it stung pretty bad when I went for a wee which is normal.

Went for a wee then got discharged! By that point I was feeling fine, me and my partner went to mcdonalds (haha) and even went and walked around a shop then went home where I went to bed.

Since the op, I've needed lots of pees which stung and burned and blood too( like a light period). But it felt so good being able to empty my bladder properly for the first time without it contracting.

so basically I was getting UTIs because my urethra was so narrow, I couldn't empty my bladder properly so bacteria was getting trapped which was causing UTIs!

Please don't be scared, I was petrified, had a panic attack and still made it out 3 hours after the op.

The procedure only takes about 5-10 mins and all went well.

Good outcome, lots of pain but keeping dosed up on painkillers and hoping for no more UTIs again.

Good luck, you will be fine, it's no where near as bad as you think. smile

• Posted

PS,

I remember everything up until being put too sleep. I remember the nurses name, what the theatre and anesthetic room looked like, remember the cannula being put in and me crying etc. and remember waking up.

It was all fine.

Just remember to drink lots and lots when you get home to flush everything through and keep yourself dosed up on pain meds x

• Posted

Hi the same thing happened to me. I was to have it done after persistent UTI's but was too narrow for the camera to enter and was told I would have to have the dilation done under general anaesthetic.

I had it done yesterday and I am able to reassure you that it was fine. I woke from the anaesthetic and felt no pain. There was some blood the first couple of times I passed urine but that became more diluted as time went on. There is also a stinging feeling but if I drink a lot it is less so.My bladder control is as good as it was..

The surgeon said he found that my urethra was very narrow and that I had a slight prolapse. I went into the operating theatre just after 2.00pm and was home by 6.30pm. I feel fine today.

I am just hopeful now that it will make some differnce to the number of UTI's but this is just something I will have to wait to find out.

• Posted

Anesthesia why it takes 3-4 minutes, anesthesia dangerous for simple procedure ?
  • Posted

I had a scope and dilation yesterday in the office with only a local anesthesia! Burns like heck today when I urinate. I wish I could have been asleep. I have had both procedures before but never at the same same appointment. Lord help, I hope I don't have to do that again...
    • Posted

What was the scope Nobody ever suggested that to me date just give me the dialation  every eight weeks or so
  • Posted

I just had both of these done last week. I have no clue if the doctor found anything during the cystoscopy. I was half awake, coming out of the sedative and I think all he said was it went well. So, I am unaware if my urethra was too narrow or if I have cystitis. I guess I won't know anything until I go for my follow up in May. 

The procedure itself was very easy and quick. The person I had with me said I was only in the OR for 10 minutes. For me, the worst part was the IV. I had a nurse who liked to put IV's in the wrist and I am horrible with IV's. I get nauseated, dizzy, and anxious. So, that was the worst part for me. 

My 1st few pee's after the procedure were mildly painful. Some burning. Only had blood once when I wiped. Ibuprofen took care of the burning. 

I was informed not to have sex until I seen my doctor but my boyfriend and I thought we would try to have sex (and stop if it hurt me too much). It was fine. I had heightened sensitivity to him which actually felt really good. But now, I'm not sure if sex was a bad idea or what because I am having some burning on my urethra when I sit down for long amounts of time and the constant feeling of I have to urinate. It's exactly how I felt before the procedure. It hasn't even been a week yet (6 days). So, for me I'm going to say my dilation did not work. I can't imagine sex causing things to go back to how they were. Also, I was given cipro during the procedure and that stuff likes to cause yeast infections for me so I don't know if I have a yeast infection and that's why there's been burning. Just unsure on so many things right now.

• Posted

Hi,

I've also had a cysto and dilatation under GA 1 week ago. But unfortunately I'm still having really bad cystitis symptoms. My surgeon thinks it could be irritation from the op or else blood clot's in the bladder from after surgery. I'm at a loss!!!

Will let u know how I get on.

• Posted

Hi do you find this helps keep infections off? I have had it done once before which lasted for just over a year and now I am getting regular utis again. My urologist just said some people just get reccurent infections.
    • Posted

If you ask for Estriol (which is natural Perscription) it helps in between dialations, also take an antibiotic after relations. I drink hot Biotta  fermented Organic sauerkraut juice which makes the good gut flora
    • Posted

I currently take cranberry tablets and d-mannose I hadnt had a major attack since mid November but had one just the other week. Waiting for another urologist appointment as I want to be seen again as I need to know more of what I can do or what can be done and I want a proper diagnosis. Thanks Chloe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.