Cystoscopy Fears

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi to All: I'm a male in my 60s, have had persistent UTI's for years, along with frequent blood in my urine.  My doc has recommened and scheduled a cystoscopy. The more I think about it, the idea of having a scope inserted in my penis and up into my bladder -- with only a topical anesthetic--is pretty frightening to me. I've been worrying about it now for a week.  Can anyone who's a veteran of this offer any information about the pain/difficulty level?  Thanks, I appreciate it.. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm female so I'm sure it's different but I too had made myself a wreck thinking about it and in my case it was NOTHING and I didn't have any pain or discomfort at all.  I didn't even feel like I needed to pee.  It was over in seconds. 
  • Posted

Cant give you a male experience of it, sure someone will iin a while. l had my first cystoscopy due to pain and frequency, had it with anascetic, slept for an hour after and had a bit of discomfort, but less than l had with problems leading up to it  Second one more recently with local anascetic l was concerned about it, discomfort embaressment, but it was easy, no discomfort or embarressement, over in 5min, they used anascetic gel, that was a bit of a shock as very cold, then felt nothing with procedure.  Maybe youll get male perspective next, good luck with it. and at least you should get reason for uti,s. 
  • Posted

I replyed to your post per email but will do again ! I have had a lot of Cystos this year !They are uncomfortable for us men we get a gel squeezed down the eye of the snake and they wait about 20 mins for it to work then they go into the bladder which I found uncomfortable each time ! the last time they had to retrieve a Stent that was put in after a TURBT but all in all notheing to worry about and HEY its for your good
  • Posted

Geoffrey, stop worrying, this is not as bad as it sounds.  I have a yearly cystoscopy, so yes I'm a veteran.  This procedure isn't painful, at worst there is slight discomfort.  Urinating after the procedure has some slight and short lived burning.  In my case I had cancerous polyps removed, it can be a life saver.
  • Posted

Hi Geoffrey, I'm a veteran at 36. Have had 6 of these in the last 18 months. They don't hurt mate, first one I felt a bit of a sting but not bad at all. I rber worrying too. The anticipation of it is far worse than the actual event. Back in March for my next one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.