Cystoscopy Made My Bladder Symptoms Worse, Constant Urge to Pee

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started noticing about 7 years ago how often I had to pee, but that only happened for a month and then it went away. About 3 years ago, it started happening again so I went to the doctor. I was put on Oxybutin and it didn't help. After discussion with my doctor, he decided to do a cystoscopy. As I came out of my procedure, he diagnosed me with Interstitial Cystitis because of bruises I had on my bladder. After this procedure, my constant urge to pee got 100x worse than before. I used to have to pee often, but now I never get a break from the constant urge to pee. But, this urge and frequency is my only symptom, no pain or burning. This was about 2 years ago. Since then, I have exhausted my options of medicines, change in diet, PTNS, Pelvic Floor PT, mindfulness, etc. Recently, my doctor put me on Gabapentin and this is the first thing that has ever made the slightest of a difference. The only difference it makes is that I don't get up in the middle of the night very often (which is a big step!!). But, it doesn't help at all for the other 16 hours of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Urinary troubles are so hard to deal with.  This is not the problem I have but I sincerely understand the stress.  There has to be another drug u can take for this. See a different urologist if the one u are going to offers u no other options. I know that gabapentin is used for pain and nerve relative issues.  Best of luck and continue to post with your progress.
  • Posted

The only hope I have these days is that it will suddenly go away.  Why do I hope that?

Because about 6 years ago, I had the very same symptoms as I do now, but I attributed it to eating too much sugar as my A1C levels were getting higher due too my addiction to ice cream.  When I stopped eating ice cream and lost a few pounds, the symptoms suddenly went away but I don't know why, exactly.

I was fine for the past 6 years until 3 months ago and it's back with a vengeance only I'm not eating ice cream and I'm not diabetic but if it went away before, maybe it will just go away again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.