Cystoscopy pain threshold

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 53 having had some urinary problem's .I was booked in to have the flexible camera inserted. Having trawled the net looking to see what happens and getting anxious about it.Anyway had the procedure done a walk in the park ,But afterwards the nurse told me it was pain free having the gel put in and first insertion of the camera was because I am circumsised and the tip is less sensetive has any other male had the same experience. Am happy to say would not bother me having a repeat procedure done

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

paul I had bladder cancer and have the camera every 3 months I found it painful so I take 5mg of diazepam before and its okay then

its because I have a tight prostrate so it hurts

my operation was ok thank goodness after 6 lots of chemo through a catheter which I took diazepam for again

I do hate the procedure and I have double gel haha but its still not comfortable

hope this is helpful

• Posted

Hello paul79559 - yes, I had a very positive and comfortable experience.  I was also given a gel with Lidocaine.  I am circumcised, as you are.  The anesthetic did not completely numb my urethra, so I was able to feel the scope as it was inserted into the meatus, and advanced all the way into the bladder.  Please see my posting for more details.  The feeling was actually quite pleasant, and I was able to relax for the entire procedure.  As the doctor was surveying the inside of my bladder, I really didn't feel anything at that time.  I again felt pleasant 'moving' sensations as the doctor withdrew the scope.  Afterwards, I did not experience any bleeding, or have any problems with urination, or discomfort.  It was 'all good', and I'm willing to have the procedure done again if it's necessary.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.