Cysts, bloating and trapped air.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have extreme bloating, I look 6 months pregnant. I have a history of ovarian cysts in the past. The last one was 6cm and I was booked to have this removed in hospital. 2 days before the surgery they did another scan to check and decided not to operate on it as it had reduced now to 2cm. I have since continued to have a lot of problems and am not back to extreme bloating but I have no actual pain. I went to the doctor last night about the bloating and he says its air. So I have wind??? It's not coming out though, up or down frown. I just keep getting more pregnant looking throughout the day. He has ordered an ultrasound and queried the cyst again so at least I will find out soon. What I want to know is: can the cyst cause the wind to not be passed and basically is this dangerous. I have visions of me exploding ! lol

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Correction: should read 'I am back to extreme bloating'   I put the word 'not' in by mistake sorry. Not sure if posts can be edited as i am new to this.
  • Posted

I had to stop and check for a moment to make sure that I didn't post this!

I can really relate to your experience.  I can't say for a fact that your wind is definitely related to your cyst as I'm not a doctor,  but up until I had my cyst removed, I had the constant feeling that I needed to break wind.  When I woke up in the morning I felt a little bloated, but by the time I went to bed at night I felt like the size of the house and was practically waddling as a result.

I was given peppermint oil tablets to help ease the symptoms (the brand I used was called Colpermin which is available over the counter).  They definitely helped, although the side effect was farting like a trumpet.  Fun.

I'm pretty sure that you're not going to explode, but it won't hurt to keep going back to your doctor if it persists.  I've learnt from experience that the more you visit them, the more likely they are to take you seriously as they don't want you see you over and over again for the same problem.

Take care.  I hope you deflate soon confused

• Posted

I'm booked in to have a 9cm cyst removed on 14 November.  I can really related to the wind problem.  I thought IBS was causing my wind, but since having been diagnosed with a cyst I've read that wind can be part of it.  I also find that it is trapped, but it causes me stomach pain.

I hope you get sorted out soon.

xx Kathy

• Posted

Sorry Yvelika, I should have said, could it be IBS?

xx Kathy

• Posted

I don't think it is IBS because i had meds for that and they didnt help plus I can eat spicy food and such with no problems. Although I do have gluten and Lactose intolerance but this is all settled now with dietary changes. The doctor I saw last night prescribed some tablets that help to disperse what he believes is trapped air - might be trapped by the distortion of the bowel by a cyst. I am booked for an ultrasound on monday. The meds for the wind have not made one iota of difference so far.  Hope it doesnt work suddenly in the night and blast hubby out of bed lol
    • Posted

I was told my bloating and trapped wind was due to IBS as my 8cm cyst was "too small to be causing that many problems".  As soon as the cyst was gone, so was the IBS.  Make of that what you will.
  • Posted

I've had bloating with all 3 of my ovarian cysts.

The first I had removed feb 2012 that was 10cm.

The second I had removed aug 2013, that strangled my right ovary, so they removed that too.

After they they put me on the depo injection and said I'd be all fixed, since the previous 2 cysts had been on my right ovary.

Low and behold, I went to the dr on Monday because I thought I had a blockage in my bowel, I look 9 months pregnant. Turns out I've another cyst, this time on my left ovary. The bloating is unbelievable!! The ultrasound machine couldn't even measure it properly so their sending me for an MRI scan. From what she could measure it's 36cm.

It's pushing on everything!!! I can't get comfy at all it's aweful!!!

But the previously mentioned colpermin does help with the gassy pain smile

• Posted

I'm sorry you are going through this, must be awful, 36cm! Hope they will get it sorted out quickly for you. 
  • Posted

Before I had my cyst removed I suffered a lot from trapped wind, on the worst day my stomach expanded an extra 10cm in circumference. It was very painful. However I found mine was triggered by eating food containing yeast so I cut out all food containing yeast, drastically reduced my sugar intake and started eating natural organic yoghurt. Did the trick for me. Have you tried keeping a food diary?
    • Posted

I did yes but it was inconclusive  apart from high fibre foods. 
  • Posted

Hi I have been having bubble guts and lots of gas to pass. I read the results from my ultrasound and it stated that I had gas and bowel over my left ovary. So I was wondering what is the name of the medicine that your doctor prescribed? Please.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.