D dimer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I was diagnosed at the end of march I had a d dimer test last week I think that's the name any way and the doctor said it was at 400 is this a good or bad sign?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

If I was looking to rule out a PE, I would say this is a good result.

The d-dimer test is not black and white, as there are other variables at work. From memory, my d-dimer results were around 2500.......and they still sent me home.

HTH Peter

• Posted

Hi jamieleigh,

As Peter has mentioned the D dimer  blood tests can be very inaccurate and lots of variables, that's why follow up testing is required to confirm. I had a contrast CT Scan done which confirmed Pulmonary embolism in both lungs, nothing was done about looking at my left calf for a DVT they just assumed it was from there and had broken away and travelled to my lungs. If it wasn't for a switched on emergency triage nurse I'd of been still treating my sore calf muscle as a strain.

• Posted

Hi my d diner was also 2500, and then had a pulmonary CT scan diagnosing hundreds of emboli.  The doctors did look at my d diner, normal suppose to be 500 or so.  They are quick to give you the "anxiety " label.

• Posted

Your result seems in normal range as i was 3000 and had p.e just starting. Glad they caught it but now recovered from it have general anxiety cant fix that, need hints.
    • Posted

Mindfulness, relaxation , if it's severe Alprazolam does wonders but be warned a highly addictive drug, belongs in the Benzo's family, or if your that way inclined, meditation, yoga or natural remedies.

It's hard I know but all it is, is a matter of retraining our brain and / or the thoughts we send to it. smile

• Posted

Thanks everyone. I was in hospital last week I though I may have another clot but doctors say no although they refused to give me another ct scan as I'm pregnant

• Posted

Try not to worry about it, we are all ok, some have had different experiences but we continue to feel better.  I found walking daily helped me. I think of all others with worse conditions they deal with and am thankful.
  • Posted

400 is fairly low 200 and below is normal but when mine was 500 the haematologist said it was improving.

First time round it was 9000 and second time 900. Try not to worry the docs will be keeping an eye on you but if you do feel awful just go back and hassle them.

• Posted

Hello

The D Dimer is a non specific test when it comes to PE. This means that if your D dimer is elevated, then there's some underlying process going on; it could be PE or it could be an inflammatory process. Usually in a person with history of PE, an elevated D dimer warrants further diagnostic tests such as CT

VQ scan can also be done

Are you currently on blood thinner?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.