D mannose..Not Working.... and more..

Posted , 118 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

I have been suffering for a year now with UTI's....my bladder always feels like I have a UTI even when I come up negative...I take DMannose EVERY DAY and YES my infection is always Ecoli...the only antibiotic that seems to work is Levaquin...Cipro did nothing even though the strain was sensitive to it...same thing with macrobid...I also take Fem Dolpholis every day and oil of oregano pills...and calcium and magnesium....NOTHING seems to work..I wash and my husband does before and after sex...wipe front to back...all the usual I drink 50 oz of water a day..I have NO CAFFINE, NO SODA...nothing but water or seltzer water... 

Any suggestions???

Nicole

2 likes, 298 replies

298 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Nicole, I searched for D-Mannose and e.coli as I remembered reading about how D-mannose actually works.  The site I read explains it all very well and says this in the last para: "The unique adaptability of most uropathogens - a result of natural selection for the challenging environment they live in - makes them difficult to get rid of, once they 'get a grip'. Unfortunately, not even D-Mannose can immediately rid the bladder of embedded bio-film-protected bacteria. But an extended course of high quality bio-active D-Mannose treatment over perhaps three months can reduce these colonies to the point where they can no longer cause problems. In most cases antibiotics will not achieve this effect, leaving no allopathic answer to the problem, apart from burning off the lining of the bladder with chemicals or laser treatment".

Try and read the page yourself (I can't give the link here but you should find it ok).  It may be the way you take the D-mannose is wrong - I think they suggest an emergency dose  for some days then a maintenance dose.

You say only levaquin seems to work, which means you've taken at least one course of it.  Please don't take it again (or Cipro or any of the other fluroquinolones).  The toxicity level builds up the more you take so you may be already up to your limit and one more FQ tablet might possibly be enough to tip you over into the world of floxie-pain.  Search for that as well, and you'll see what I mean! 

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Nicole, I agree with the last comment. I've had exactly the same for 8 months. Been on daily AB for 3 months. Started taking dmannose - I took a lot in first 3 weeks. I took a heaped teaspoon every 3 hours even at night - you have to do this otherwise you'll never get control. The first two dosages should only have an hour in between. I set my alarm for 1am and 4am. Take with 200ml. I did this for 2weeks then reduced to one in the night. I'm feeling almost normal and I've been very sick and not able to be away from a toilet for months. You'll know when you feel better but I pee into a jug every time I go now so I can see how much I'm holding and I'm up to 200. I was 80. My thoughts are that as we don't manage to fill the bladder we don't manage to reach the Ecoli. Try this and let us all know how you are in 3 weeks.
    • Posted

Suzy....I definitely was not taking enough DMannose...I take one teaspoon each morning in about 12 oz of water...I drink that over the period of an hour or more...that was it... Today I did that..then I took another teaspoon in 12 oz of water at lunch time and now I am going to take it again during the evening and then again through the night....  I don't think my bladder can hold more than 4-7 oz....I am in severe pain if I do...even when I do not have an actual infection.  Do you thank that is enough d-mannose now?
    • Posted

No I don't think you're taking enough. You take the heaped teaspoon in 200ml and drink it all straight away. Repeat in a hour. As you have been as sick as I have repeat every 2 hours for next 3/4 dosages then go to every 3 hours. Don't forget a dosage and take in the night. I never thought I'd get better but I have. I stopped taking ABs and started doing this and I'm better, you never think you will get better, but you will if it's ecoli.

• Posted

Ps my cultures came back negative after 3 months but I still def had an infection.
    • Posted

Dear ladies,

I have the same problem-reoccurring uti caused by e.coli.

I'm 26 and have been having this problem the last 3.5 years. I have changed many hospitals and doctors trying to find the one who will be helpful..I tried many different antibiotics, short term and long term, immunoterapia, herbal therapy. It still coming back after 1.5-2 months. Urodynemics was normal, cystoscopy as well. I have been taking dmannose 500 mg pills one a day 2 pills, for 3 months,and nothing else with it since I am sick of antibiotics. The last week I started again feeling discomfort in my urethra and today, after 7 days, uti occurred again, announcing the start of the hell again.

Recently I also saw another products which supposedly brake the biofilm helping to get rid of the ecoli sitting in the bladder wall.

Has anyone ever tried any of those?

Also, what dose of dmannose is recommended during uti and when the pain and other symptoms are hopefully relieved?

I tried only pills but not the one that needs to be dissolved in water as I understood from previous comments.

Please help with your advice, I really want to get rid of it since we want to have a baby, but sofar it hasn't been possible to even think of.

Thanks in advance!

• Posted

You can take a spoonfull of D-mannose powder every hour for around 3days, then gradually decrease it until you're having a spoonfull a day. You need to take it for around 3 months to cleanse yourself of the ecoli. Have you been checked for interstitial cystitis?

• Posted

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I have been checked for IC and it was positive.

Can you tell me is there any differencell between the different d mannose powder products in terms of quality?

A have tried only the pills.

Thanks

• Posted

I don't think there is much difference, just buy pure D-mannose powder rather than mixed with Cranberry etc. With the powder, you can alter the dose dependant on risk factors eg. Prior to sex, before bed, first thing in the morning, can feel a uti coming on... You need to take it with less water, not more, to ensure the concentration is strong in your bladder, then hold your urine for a while before peeing. If you can, stop yourself peeing before you've finished emptying for as long as you can - this will allow the D-mannose to sit in your urethra for a little while too.

• Posted

Hi there,

Which substance can break into the biofilm please? I'm desperate in need of help. I feel I cannot go on with all the pain for the past 3 years. I can't take any more.

Thanks

Sam

• Posted

Hello.ive only just discovered DMannose.it definetly helped with stopping the symptoms I have taken over the lastb12 months at least 3different antibiotics-fluroquinalins/Keflex/nitrofradantoin theb1st fluroquinalin which was ciproflaxacin gave me very bad side affects to the effect I had to stop taking it,the other 2 -the infection just came back after a few days,so reading about DMannose I thought I would in desperation try it.The only side effect I have -is bloating & diarrhoea ,which I have taken my usual mebererine as I have IBS too.The DMannose I feel is helping my symptoms but not sure if it's getting rid of the initial infection

• Posted

Have you had your doctor check for mycoplasma? That was my problem. Mycoplasma just made the infections come back every 6-8 weeks or so. I did a month eurythromycin (not fun) and I haven't had an issues since. My urologist said mycoplasma is hard to get rid of so that's why such a harsh dose of antibiotics.They gave me erythromycin because I am allergic to doxycycline… If you are not allergic to sulfa drugs (doxy) that's what they will probably give you is doxycycline. She also treated my boyfriend with a month of antibiotics as well so that we were not just passing it back-and-forth. It's worth a shot to have them test you for mycoplasma! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi anne - I too have had recurrent bouts of e-coli in water works, and antibiotics galore.  Just recently I've been trying echanacea and uva-ursa tincture several times a day plus caprylic acid tablets (you might like to google these) and PrescriptAssist Probiotics (Recommended by Robert Redfern as the best) and I'm finding so far the symptoms haven't come back. Robet Redfern offers free online advice as well.  These  probiotics are great to help the diarrhoea.  I also used to use a bit of cooking grade coconut oil topically round the sore areas as capryllic acid comes from coconuts.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hello again

my uti symptoms have at last gone - after about 5 days of DMannose 1/2 teaspoon 3/4 times a day.Then I did the twice a day  preventative  for about another 5 days,then once a day 1/2 teaspoon. 

I haven't had to take any more at the moment-fingers xd

but I have a full packet of DMannose in my medicine cabinet as a back up

• Posted

Hi Anne

I only joined this site today , as like a lot of people it seems I have been suffering for many years with recurring UTI's. I have have had this last infection for over two months and am on the fifth lot of antibiotics . It's brilliant that the d mannose has worked for you, i was taking one a day which didn't stop the infection appearing but I'm now taking the tablets 1000mg four times a day to hopefully rid me of the pain and discomfort. I'm off to the doctors tomorrow and hoping she wil refer me back to the consultant to see if there's anything else they can try as I'm scared I have become resistant to the antibiotics.

Good luck with the tablets and hope they continue to work xx

• Posted

hello anne28969 i cant get d-mannose in my country im from nigeria and ive been having recurrent uti and it has affected my kidney too. i have heavy growth of ecoli which is very dangerous for my health please can u be able to help me get it i will pay for it. im tired of this pain pls reply asap
    • Posted

Hi Miriam,

What would be the  time of the extended course of dmannose and how much each day?  I thought I was doing great with 5-6 times and then down to 2-3 times a day one teaspoon in a short glass of water followed later by lots of water.  I am becoming hysterical after so many rounds of antibiotics and now on Cipro as I was so sick.  But I believe those bacteria are hiding out under biofilm and that is something the doctors never tell me!  

This problem initially began a year after my marriage and was told because of sex.  But I've been divorced twenty years and not sexually active and still get them bad!  Those bacteria are strong and the infections are ruining my life.  I'm confined to the house to be near the toilet and water.  Any suggestions what to do to beat this?

• Posted

Lina been reading about a bacteria called mycoplasma and Ureaplasma  think ive spelt this wrong? which arnt being detected in the normal urine investigations, even in the path lab!  Apparently one needs to see a very good urologist and its a hard to cure infection though not impossible once diagnosed correctly. cassierdh02 mentioned this. Think there's a lot more to these UTI s than we realise going on and several causes, from infection to hormonal imbalance to unrelated infections at all.  Then of course the lovely menopause thing which only adds to all it all. sad

Sue 

Sue

• Posted

Hi Suzy can you clarify something for me/us. Is it true that the D mannose will only get rid of an e coli  bacteria?  so if we have other causes or just plain inflammation of the urinary tract it does no good at all.  Both my last two lots of antibiotics i took for nothing as it turned out i had no infection after all that! been taking the herbs Bucha and urva ursi at the moment to try and get down this inflammation, wish i knew what was causing it.  The  D Mannose works out very expensive to take for weeks and need to know we really need this.

Sue 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.