da to pip assessment

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi All,

Well this morning at 9.30am I had my assessment for transfer from m/c and h/m dla to pip.

It took place at the Waterlooville/Portsmouth centre. It seemed to go okay, the assessor was female, formal in her approach and questioning manner and was patient when I went off course and started rambling. She did not disclose her position or assessing qualifications and when after the assessment was finished I was asked if I had any questions, I wanted to make sure she was aware of "invisible disabilities", well if looks could kill I would be a dead man, I might have blown it ,big time!!!

Mike.

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't have said you've blown it. It's very difficult to tell by someone's reaction to one sentence. Leave it a week, then ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, it will give you an idea what the decision is likely to be. Add up those dots or ticks that are at the back of the report by comparing them against the PIP descriptors online because they don't add them up in the report. The decision maker usually goes with the recommendations in the report, it's rare to go against it. It's also handy to have the report if the worst happens and you're refused.

There's no timescales to decisions, it all depends on the backlog in your area. Hopefully it won't be too long. I know the stress is unreal! Hang on in there and hopefully the decision will go in your favour. Please do let me know the outcome. Take care!

• Posted

Did you have an oops moment LOL I don't think they really expect you to even consider asking a question, so you obviously ruffled her features and will receive a hypothetical slap through the post.

I'm sure it shouldn't make any difference really, you just caught her off guard.

So are their invisible disabilities, only joking 😂

• Posted

Good luck for the report. Good for you asking if she was aware of invisible disabilities, I feel we need to talk about these more to medical people. Hope you are successful, I telephoned and asked what qualification the persons that took my assessments had. The Occupational Therapist was definitely the most knowledgeable and understood what I was saying regarding my illnesses and not coping etc. The two nurses had not a clue but they have the upper hand until M.R. !!!!!!!!!   All the best  
    • Posted

The HCPs don't need to be knowledgeable because PIP or ESA isn't awarded based on a diagnosis. It's the claimant responsibility to prove how our conditions affect us and not their responsibility. No 2 conditions are the same and they affect people differently which means you can't compare 2 people. 

• Posted

Not all problems can be 'seen'.

• Posted

Actually with PIP I would imagine that the vast majority of claiments illnesses are invisible and that makes it very hard on the claimant but on saying that even those like myself who do have some visible ailments it still isn't easy because then unless you have a ton of written evidence they don't believe you, considering PIP is not supposed to be about a diagnosis then why do we have to provide them with half our medical records.

• Posted

I agree, but when in my experience the Occupational therapist assessed me it was 'like a breath of fresh air', she asked the right and relevant questions and knew immediately what I was saying  regarding both the visible and invisible ailments and how they effected me. Even though everyone is different, (pain toleration levels etc.) don't you think someone experienced dealing with people with illnesses (and trained to do so) can write a much more accurate and fair report for the DWP to base their decision on? Certain illnesses cause certain problems and with a family doctor's support, what is their problem? I think physiotherapists and O.Ts are qualified for this, as even GPs are limited in what a patient can actually manage and they are not experts in all fields? Just a thought? Some of my reports are no more than gibberish and don't make sense, "she travelled to the , assessment" of course I did, I had no choice but no mention of the problems I suffered through this!

• Posted

Fingers crossed you'll be ok Mike.

I actually my assessor and she told me she was a nurse.

It was my first PIP claim and as my Fibromyalgia is basically invisible was expecting the worst but was awarded standard living.

I think you can only be detailed and honest as to how you are effected in day to day life.

All the best

Wendy x

• Posted

Should say I asked her, so annoying you can't edit your post on here 😉

• Posted

Off tangent a little. I’m in Waterlooville and still waiting for my DLA indefinite award to transfer to pip medical, I usually go to Southampton as Portsmouth is on upper floor where in Waterlooville are assessments being undertaken? 
    • Posted

Again off topic, Waterlooville sounds like somewhere in the USA, I had a look and their are some great village/town names round you.
    • Posted

So named as it was a stopping place on the way to the battle of Waterloo ( village on the way to Waterloo = Waterlooville

Yes, I googled it, literally 5 mins drive away from me. 

• Posted

I think most of us have invisible disabilities. I would not worry about it too much.

Keep us updated when you get a decision.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.