Da Vinci surgery for recurring diverticulitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

After a couple of flare ups from diverticulitis, my GI doc has suggested laparoscopic surgery by the Da Vinci method. To me, surgery should be a last resort. Has anyone had the Da Vinci surgery with positive or negative results? This condition has totally taken over my life.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Good morning!

I was diagnosed with diverticulosis by  my 1st colonoscopy 7 yrs ago. My first attack was June 2016 . I was put on Cipro an d Flagyl for 10 days , off for 5 days , and pain returned dx with diverticulitis with another ER visit and another 10d of antibiotics! It took 3 more months for the pain to go away.  Fast forward to December 2017 went to the ER with vomiting and diarrhea. Dx with enteritis but pretty sure this was the beginning of another attack. Was in the ER in Jan And February for pain and CT confirmed  diverticulitis. So sent home with another set of antibiotics! I get so sick from the antibiotics! If you’ve read any of my other posts, I’ve said the treatment was as bad as the disease! After this last round of antibiotics I developed numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. Still waiting for it to go away. I’ve lost 30 lbs and months of my life!

So in February it was recommended that I have surgery. I met with a surgeon who does it robotically.  Since I was 8 wks out from the last attack  he felt it could be done robotically! He told me no guarantees though. I had previous gallbladder and appendix surgeries so he was unsure of previous scar tissue. He also said I could end up with a colostomy if the tissue was badly diseased . If  I ended up with a colostomy it would only be temporary.

So on April 6 I had 12 inches of my sigmoid and descending colon removed. No colostomy! I was in the hospital 3 days . No complications. I walk the neighborhood 4x a day and drink a lot of water that’s the key!

Pathology showed no cancer, diverticulitis and stenosis or narrowing of the bowel . The surgeon said it was hard and thickened. I had it done at a teaching hospital. They gave me a nerve block in the abdomen which was the key to very minimal pain after. I know that sounds scary but it was minimal. I did say ouch on the right side and don’t remember the left side injection! 

My actual surgery lasted 2 1/2 hrs.

After recovery I walked the halls 2x that night. Walking has really helped. After I got to my room I took a small dose narcotic on Monday and 1 on Tues otherwise just Tylenol! 

After surgery I actually have an appetite back! I still can’t eat a lot. Just like you had to learn about diverticulitis, you have to learn about what works after surgery! I do take a pain pill at night as I’m sore at the end of the day. Otherwise Tylenol during the day. I still have discomfort with a bowel movement. That why I suggest the water. FYI you may have blood in the toilet with first couple bowel movements. I don’t tell u that to scare you but to forewarn you.

I was scared like you but would do it again! Please ask any questions!

Good luck!

Kate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.