Dad has Alzheimer's...

Posted , 7 users are following.

My dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's 2 years the diagnosis came around after my mums concerns about his short term memory problems.

After diagnosis he was put on Aricept and he still has a good quality of life as he knows everyone and where he lives etc but has serious short term memory issues. We have had a really tough year as my mum (who is my dad's main carer) took a massive brain bleed and has lasting problems now. I probably didn't realise how bad my dad was until I was in sole charge of him.

I have been really shocked tonight though as I asked him to write a Christmas card to my mum and he couldn't do it, it might seem a small thing but he actually couldn't write, I asked him to do the letter M and all he did was scribble?

I just feel a bit lost and I'm concerned about what is in front of us, he has retired from work in Feb and won't go out ... therefore I feel that sitting in front of TV every day all day is making him worse and his brain is just shutting down?

I really welcome any help and advice.

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My Father died from complications of Alzhiemers and I was also given the job of looking after a Great Aunt.

About twelve months ago I began to have problems with my short term memory and I went through the five weeks of tests and examinations. I was in a way lucky that it was not Dementia, it was drug induced and that was not helped with a Conjenital Short Term Memory Disorder. I will need to take the full spectrum of tests around about in April to put my mind at rest, as I have some very strong negative memories of Nursing Homes, Hospitals and other things we learn about the situation our loved ones suffer from as they slowly loose the person they used to be.

You need to arrange, various things before your Father becomes to ill so take advice from CAB and Social Services. Lasting Power of Attorney may need to be taken out so you can pay the bills and negotiate with a list of new found people.

You will need to discus what is going on with all direct family members and sometimes decisions may need to be made so sometimes one in the family will work through the different departments as the Dementia proceeds

BOB

• Posted

Excellent advice. I had to do the same for my mom.sold her home. Took care of her with help from social services. 

It is very hard to accept especially when they seem to hide it before our very eyes. It just creeps up and all we can do is give them the best care we can find. So much to learn and it's all worth every minute we had left. 

Our favoriate thing was to talk about her childhood and stare at the ceiling and find shapes of animals.

• Posted

I too much appreciate reading of other people's experiences. Thank you all.

• Posted

I had my Father die with complications of Alzhiemers and I looked after an Aunt who died of the same.

I found that discussing their pasts with them and showing photographs to their friends an reletives seemed to sort out Quite confusion as they related to earlier times. The same could be said about music and singing, if you have any old records or music they enjoyed you may also find that this may help as well. It seems to jog the brain cells.

There are several sites on You Tube that may be interesting as they cover periods of when they were young. If the locations are those they recognise that can also jog memories from earlier times. There are books that may help in libraries and second hand shops 

• Posted

Be as understanding as you possibly can, maddening times are on the horizon. My mother has Alzheimer's and it's very sad to see your parents wither away without any dignity. Eventually you will need to put him under supervised care at home or in a facility, my mother got to the stage where she was doubledosing her medication and eating very old food. I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Part of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.