Dad is dying of copd

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dads been sent home to die. He has now got burning in tummy but looks ok confused

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello sharon, not sure I can help, but just buried my Mum - her diagnosis came in March.

I ha

• Posted

Sorry for your loss if you dont mind me asking how did she go
    • Posted

Hello, sorry, phone hit send mid sentence - hope full reply helps.

She had second stage cancer too, which we think had spread triggering strokes.

No Post Mortem, so I have no definitive answer. Apologies, love and hugs

Every person, every memory, and every moment is special, treasure them xxx

• Posted

hi sharon

I know this is a difficult time, but can you give us much more information than just a very short sentence.

How long did your dad have copd, how did the meds work, what was his morale before this final stage.

• Posted

Dad has had copd for 16 years meds have been working fine on oxygen for 24 hours a day. He went into hospital on thu came out fri after they sais he was retaining co2 and nothing more they can do. He now has morphine and midazolam 

• Posted

Hello sharon, not sure I can help, but just buried my Mum - her diagnosis came in March. She chose to go untreated, so we upheld her wish - she went peacefully, surrounded by family, in familiar surroundings.

I have learned in this that many people pass over from COPD/Emphysema/Cancer with no symptoms - many only diagnosed through Post Mortem.

Love and hugs, hanb

• Posted

Sharon, that maybe acid reflux, do you have any med's for that ? 
    • Posted

Ye gave him that which seemed to help but just had nurses out to administer midazolam as he is very agitated and speech is slurred
    • Posted

Hello again, just catching up...

Amongst other things, I've studied some natural remedies you can look up and/or try.

Peppermint is ideal for acid reflux - peppermint tea (don't know if how or if your Dad can consume things), sweets, gum or oil.

For relaxation (as well as calm, familiar sounds and music), lettuce contains a natural anti anxiety element (think it's called lacticarium, but don't quote me!), Dr Stuarts Tranquillity Tea (no more than 4 per day), Valerian Root, Ashwaghanda (Ayervedic Herb), L-Theanine (a natural element from tea, and why we offer tea for shock)- none of these will contraindicate with any prescribed medication.

Re Midazilam; I can't take General Anaesthetic so have to be sedated. Midazilam has no effect on me, so I have Diazepam and Propofol.

Also, if he's on Morphine, that should have a sedative element.

*hugs*

• Posted

for reflux you need losec (ozramapole) bad spelling better check it, and gaviston. Peppermint works ok for a short time and then, a lot of people find, diminishing returns set in and then it actually aggravates reflux. better with gaviston (not the fancy double action, or cool nonsense) just straight forward gaviston and losec from the doctor. they are called proton pump inhibitors and they work great, one pill a day and it stops your body producing too much acid, and then  a gulp of gaviston when you need it to take up the slack. definately works

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.