Dad's CKD

Posted , 5 users are following.

I noticed dad had shortnes of breath, itchiness and was fatigued. I had no idea what these were symptoms of so asked him to get a blood test in April. Dad is 89, eGFR <9, HB was 54 in April then had blood transfussion which took it up to 98.Have been really worried since I learned that his kidneys had failed. He has gradually become very agitated and confused. Its really sad seeing him going through this. Sleeps a lot during the day and gets really anxious during the night and goes to the loo on an hourly basis. Eats on and off. Was wondering how long does this go on for. And for how long the blood/HB can stay before dropping again. He refuses to go to hospital and wants nature to take its course with no medication. Tough on mum too who is 78 and cant do much for dad.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Skaur!

Sorry to hear about your dad....has the dr given him any medications? Have you and your family considered palliative care?

My FIL(77yrs old) was a diabetic patient and was diagnosed with kidney failure with egfr 9....hospitalised for almost 3 weeks to stablished his condition then spent a week in palliative care before being discharged home as it is where he chooses to pass on. However...in the last week leading to passing (that was a laspe of 5 mths after that hospital and palliative stay)...he's condition went down pretty badly...he was so bloated up due to water retention...put on 30kg on top of his normal weight. We had to put him into palliative care once more as mom couldn't manage him....she's almost 80yrs old. It's very stressful for the family members when dealing with him who was very determined and strong minded...with his own mind!

The transition at palliative care was quick but peaceful...whereby he lived his last days in dignity and under the care of the team there. Perhaps you and you family have to think about this option. 

Good Luck and take care!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. No he doesnt want any medication and he is also very head strong and difficult to manage. Since being diagnosed and passing away, how long did your FIL life for? Also, my dad is in Fiji where there is no Palliative care services as such but his GP visits him often at home. I have applied for leave without pay for 3 months to look after him and support mum. Fingers crossed my leave gets approved.
    • Posted

He was diagnosed in jan and finally passed on late May. We all felt he coud do longer if he had been vigilant in his diet! He just refused any suggestion and eats/drinks whatever he likes...so that was bad for him. He just ballooned with all that liquid intake....had to call the ambulance to pick him up from the floor as he was 80kg and we could not lift him up. On the day that he was admitted into palliative...he only had 1 eye that could open to see...the other was swollen shut! The paramedics were so stunned to see his condition. Once at palliative...they put him on diuretic ....that took the swelling down...but his kidneys function went from 7 to 4. Then he became very irritated and they had to sedate him.....so it was down hill from then until his heart gave in. Just 1 week in palliative...but at least mom managed to get some rest and peace with him in palliatve. 

Keeping fingers crossed that you get your leave approved. 

Also..hang in there whilst taking care of your dad...it can be very stressful, mentally and emotionally drainning. Do take care and pop in here to rant if u need to release!!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing and appreciate your support. I would like to be in touch and share this experience so that I can learn from yours.
    • Posted

Just my 2 cents....if your dad do have blood works done....read it! study it! and questions the medical staffs as much as possible and look for the best solution for his comfort. It puts the medical staffs on their toes to know that they have relatives who are in the aware zone!

No offence to the medical areana...but sometimes...it could be very routine for them that they do overlook certain aspects of things...so it's best to speak up! I found it very stimulating to chat with them over FIL's condition and also to express the family's gratitude for their care rendered to him whilst he's under their care. 

Again...take care u!! Prayers going your way!

• Posted

i wouldnt worry to much my mother's eGFR is 5% and she's been tired, itchy, confused and iritable for over 5 years, she hipcups a lot and goes to toilet often, but she has no desire to go on to dialysis or to die, your doctor should mostly liekly being giving your father iron injections (the kidneys amongst other things have an involvement in making new blood cells, and  low functioning kidneys cant produce effectively, this is why your father feels tired) your father should also be taking medication to regulate his sodium / potassim.

• Posted

Thanks Tony - he wavers between wanting to die and live. And refuses all medication. Wow  . .  your mother is a fighter. She must have strong organs and no other complication.
    • Posted

i think the reason why she is doing so well is because she doesnt have fluid retention..., the kidneys preform many functions, blood production and regulation, sodium and potassium regulation,  they also have an effect of blood pressure ...., but the two main things that they do are ..., remove ceratine and remove excess fluid, and it's these two issue that have the greatest most noticable effects on someone's health, my mother's creatine levels are high but her kidneys can still remove excess fluid.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.