Dads Vascular cognitive impairment leaving me helpless

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I’m from India and my dad was diagnosed with vascular cognitive impairment a month ago. It was a coincidental discovery as he was hospitalised due to TIA. This diagnosis in a way helped me understand the reason behind his failing memory post a heart attack he suffered 4 years ago.My moms been a bipolar with delusions all through my childhood until now. It’s an awful time for me being their only child to deal with dad this way and mom being delusional and not really responding to her antipsychotic drugs right now. Feel I’m being choked from all sides with my teen son throwing a temper tantrum and me bring a single mom... really don’t know what to do.feel utterly hopeless and helpless 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Rupa

We are in the UK so I can suggest various things that may be available here

I suffer a Congenital Short Term Memory Disorder that is getting worse as I get older, mine is not a Dementia although I have had various dealings with family members who have now departed.

It is important you get a complete diagnosis, that will open up various departments who will be able to give your Parents support. I went through five weeks of tests, that helped with my diagnosis.

Generally they will initially give support through mental health, then a nurse will be introduced to your parents.

In the UK they may then offer a Social Worker who will work with your nurse.

Over time they can arrange time for you  to have time off from your acting as carer. It is important you keep discussing needs with family members and those dealing with the dementia.

If your parents are unable to deal with finances it may be you will need to put them in a nursing home. By this time you will need to take over the actual running of there estate via a Court of Protection, if this happens your Social Team  will help you.

BOB

• Posted

Hi, I'm so sorry. God bless you. Believe me I do understand fighting more than one battle at a time. I awake every morning with a headache, mt stomach hurts and I don't know what to do from day to day. I guess all we can do is our best and remember that God is in control. I too am single dealing with this on my own although I do have siblings they just kind of put it off on me and I'm not in the best of health 3 years ago I had multiple strokes. I don't wanna have another one. Please pray for me and I'll pray for you.

God does hear prayers and He will work it out in His time not ours. He knows us and He knows how much we can stand. He love's your parents, your child, you and me.

Please keep in touch and be blessed!

• Posted

Thank you so much for those encouraging words Frieda.They mean a lot to me, more than you’ll ever know.I will definitely pray for you.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation right now. Yes it is difficult to handle everything on your own, with your mom and dad having different illnesses and you being a single mom. But if you lose hope right now, the situation's not getting any better. I know it's hard but you just have to keep on going through life. I'll definitely pray for you. God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.