Dager of fluctuating BP.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Doctors keep on telling me that fluctuating, labile BP is not dangerous but health articles always say differently. Extract from one in yesterdays Daily Mail:

'People often come in at weekends and ask what to do because they've missed a dose,' says Sean Woodward, a community pharmacist based in Stoke-on-Trent.

Trips away and lie-ins are the most likely cause. 'The answer is to just take the next pill as soon as you can,' he says. And it does matter - forgetting to take blood-pressure tablets just once could increase the risk of heart attack or stroke by 40 per cent, according to research by the University of Glasgow. Dramatic swings in blood pressure cause stretching and relaxing of blood vessels, making them prone to tear"

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am quite good at remembering to take my ramipril each morning and my statins at night but must confess I have missed some doses when routine is upset. Not sure if the quoted figure of 40% is accurate though as the article did appear in the Daily Mail!

I always thought that constant pill taking built up in your system so even missing one dose did no real harm but maybe I have been kidding myself!

Will have to be careful over Christmas as my routine goes out the window!

• Posted

Derek.  One does the best one can do given the circumstances.  Everyone's routine goes awry periodically.  Still think that Fisherman speaks the truth re tabs building up in ones system.  Wonder how many people were used for Glasgow's research.  Sounds a dramatic percentage to me.  We all know that blood pressure varies irrespective of when you take your tablets.

Best

Alex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.