Daily activity

Posted , 8 users are following.

Going through boom and bust can't get my head round planning a day at the moment. I'm not working because I'm deconditioned following a brain tumour in 2012 I now have epilepsy, ME/cfs anxiety and fibromyalia... can't move forward... can't think straight. ME clinic tell me to plan week out so I'm not doing to much at once and to rest... I

Can't switch off. Help

I have a template to plan me week.. i sit there puzzled looking at it. Supposed an acquired brain injury doesn't help

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sounds really hard.  Maybe you could just plan 2 small things or so for one day???  Hang in there.
  • Posted

Oh no, I can't even plan the next 10 minutes, let alone the next week! I'd find being given a task like that incredibly stressful. When something needs to be done, like I need to go to the toilet I'll go and when I need to eat something or sleep I'll do it.

On a good day I might put the washng machine on or something but it's never planned, it's spur of the moment living because I never know how I'll be from minute to the next.

I suggest taking some herbs, perhaps Passion flower to start with as it's relaxing without making you more tired.

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I agree with the others about the difficulty with this task. I appreciate the idea is resting and pacing-something I struggle with, but planning things as well wouldn't work for me right now. Could you ask them to help a bit more with this? I attend the cts/me clinic and haven't been given this task. I was given a sleep/activity diary which did point things out to me but in a more gentle way.

Try explaining how hard planning is with this condition. I know? That having the brain Injury will impact as well but, cfs/me alone makes it hard to do things like this! If you're in the UK and the clinic in the Nhs, ask for a bit more guidance as it sounds like you've been thrown in the deep end.

Beverley

• Posted

I was told to plan out a week too when first ill but found it impossible as you can never predict how you will feel at a certain time. I tend to do most things  

on impulse when I have the energy but try and rest after I've done an activity. You should maybe go back to the clinic and explain your difficulties as it sounds like the task is making you feel stressed which will just drain your energy even more. You could possibly plan 2 or 3 activities to do over the course of the week as a goal but not at set times, only if you feel the energy to do them and even if you only manage 1 or 2 of them it would be an achievement. I find relaxation tracks really useful for calming me down if I feel I can't switch my brain off. Good luck.

• Posted

Good advice Elaine! Sometimes I'll think of a task and not be up to doing it at the time so I'll bear it in mind and when I have the energy I'll do it.

That's the closest to planning I can get really, just thinking of what I'd like to do next, or maybe a few things but not worrying about them, and not pushing myself into doing them.

• Posted

i agree with both of you. I try and "do" maybe 4 things a day which includes washing up, throwing the covers back over the bed, putting the washing machine on and emptying the airing cupboard. if I achieve these I know I've had a good day as there are lots of days when I can't do any of them. The important thing is not to push yourself as the housework will still be there tomorrow. Another important thing is to try and plan some good/favourite activities to be good to yourself.

Good luck!

• Posted

You're right Sue, the housework will still be there tomorrow, only twice as much of it in my case! Lol

• Posted

You'll get good advice on this site Gemma. Keep in touch.

Regards.

• Posted

I agree with the others.  And the stress of feeling that you have to have things planned out will just make you worse.  I have found that the more I can tell myself not to be stressed about things, the better I do!  That will probably be true for most of us!
    • Posted

Yes it's very true Dawn! Stress is our worst enemy in my opinion because it doesn't only affect us mentally it does terrible things to us physically as well. So I'd rather have a sink piled high of dishes etc than lose even more energy and be sicker.

• Posted

Hi Gemma I so get what you are saying!

I am struggling with a similar thing at the moment and I can't do it either! Why do none of the so-called professionals get it that the greatest achievement in any day is getting up, showered and dressed. Anything else we manage to do is a bonus. Sure, we'd all like to be organized, have clean and tidy homes and the energy to even prepare a healthy meal would be good.

Some helpful advice from some of these answers but I still can't fill out my plan .... you are not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.