Daily antibiotics for recurrent UTIs

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been prescribed a daily dose of Cefalexin for the past 2 years to keep my recurrent UTI's at bay. With all this talk of antibiotic resistence, I am quite worried about a daily dose. My GP is also concerned enough to ask the microbiologist for an opinion and will let me know if I am to continue indefinitely.

Does anyone else take daily meds for UTI's? They do keep me well and I don't seem to suffer side effects.

It would be good to hear from a fellow sufferer. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've heard of long-term antibiotic use (British PROF. Malone uses it). If you're feeling well and negative UA it seems to be working. It seems you will possibly be resistant to Cefelexin and should respond to other meds if needed. Good your MD to look into options, also wondering if you went off it now, would you get symptoms.

• Posted

Margaret, I personally would reject a daily dose of antibiotics. Yes it is true for severe cases of UTIs antibiotics are perhaps good as they provide immediate relief from symptoms and also serve as a cure. But with antibiotics, they destroy both good and bad bacteria. However, our systems need the good bacteria. They help to balance the gut flora and aid in digestion, as well as keeping the bad ones in check.

My advise to you in the case of a UTI would have been to use some cranberry. It contains D-Mannose which helps to get rid of the bacteria causing the E.Coli. Hibiscus extracts are also great for UTIs.

The other option and which I would favor are probiotics. These are also good, friendly bacteria which attack and destroy E.Coli and other bacteria making us sick. I would recommend Flourish Probiotics by Eu Natural and I have even used this myself. Basically it is made from a natural combination of friendly bacteria, vitamins and minerals which support and boost digestive health, urinary tract and gut as well.

• Posted

It is horrible to take long term antibiotic, which will destroy your digestive system and immune system, and give you fungi when bacteria are killed. It would be even harder to kill fungi. To have fungi is probably the reason that your UTI turned to be chronic. I had been in chronic UTI for many years until I found my own way to solve it. The doctor cannot help. The holistic doctor may do the work.

My suggestion is to stop the antibiotics. Instead, you may drink D-manos powder, Apple cider vinegar, a lot of Vitamin C. Stop eating or drinking anything with sugar. At the same time, wash the exterior of the feminine part with the diluted white vinegar.

Also if you may also your vagina to see if there is bacteria or fungi there. You may apply some prebiotic vaginal suppositories because vagina could be the cause of the UTI particularly during and after manopause.

Good luck!

• Posted

Also take probiotics and drink Kombucha, which can help you recover digestive system quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.