Daily headache

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am in my 50s, started having daily headaches 4 years ago, waking up with them even if I went to bed without pain. Almost always on the right behind my eye. My BP is normal and eye check also fine. The pain sometimes progresses to a full migraine which does respond to maxalt. My GP sent me to a Neurologist 4 years ago. Did a brain scan and started me on Flunarizine. Put on a stone and a half but felt better except a bit low and needing a sleep in the afternoons. Came off it 6 months ago and now on Amitriptylline 20 mg which stops me sleeping and makes me a bit hyper, so I now take 10mg in the morning. Still getting headaches 3 out of 7 mornings. Ibuprofen helps but I am wondering what to do next.....any thoughts?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I believe in finding the cause of the headaches---doctors seem too quick to prescribe tablets without knowing what causes them.

Migraines often caused by food sensitivities. I found out over a period of 35 years that coffee ( started off just with instant, I could still drink proper coffee for another 15 years) alcohol, chocolate, curry and all types of spices, pineapple, ginger, oranges and orange juice all trigger migraines, even in tiny quantities. 

My current headaches also end at my eyes, and come from a problem in my neck--pulled all the muscles out sanding floors. 5 hospital doctors failed up spot the cause, plus my GP who just gave me Amitrypltilene and congratulated himself on stopping the headache

I'd go for eliminating some goods maybe, drink plenty of water, then if that doesn't work look into any neck, shoulder problems?

• Posted

I stopped drinking alcohol, coffee, and don't eat oranges or chocolate. Neck X-ray was normal. Any more suggestions?
  • Posted

do they always come during the sleep time in late night or when you just wake up? also due you have a running or blocked nose during the headaches and always only one side of head is suffering from it?
  • Posted

Hi Rohit, no nose symptoms. Sometimes the dull ache wakes me sometimes when I wake the pain is there already. Almost always behind my right eye or right forehead. No stuffiness or masa discharge
  • Posted

headache playing around with sleep cycles happens with cluster headaches as well, but other symptoms of your are different.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.