Daily headaches for 8 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm hoping for some advice or help!! 10 weeks ago I got a viral infection..once it cleared I came down with this sudden headache that wouldn't go away with any medication. A week later I was admitted to hospital. They did a Ct scan and lumbar puncture which was clear. I reacted to the lumbar puncture and got a post lumbar puncture headache aswell as nausea and vomiting. I was discharged 3 days later still in agony barely able to walk and was told it would pass. Now 8 weeks since then I'm still experiencing headache every day..it's at the back of my head at top of my neck. I'm off my work, tried countless different medications from doc and nothing working! Currently trying alternative therapies and went to an osteopath yesterday. I'm getting so frustrated and depressed. Feel like this pain is never going to go! Any advice would be grateful! 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sometimes people get post viral headaches and they last between 8 and 16 weeks however unfortunately there is no test for this
    • Posted

Thanks for this as I wasn't aware. I just realized recently this could be down to the viral infection I had. No medication is helping though and while I'm in this pain I can't work it's awful! 

• Posted

reminds me of what doctors thought mine was so its very possible unfortunately mine wasn't this so i have had chronic headaches 6 months, i understand it is very frustrating but hopefully we will both get better soon smile

• Posted

Sorry to hear that! Do they know what's wrong with you? Did you go see a neurologist? I just don't feel I'm getting any help or support from my doctor! Hope you are better soon! 

• Posted

no but i am seeing a consultant pediatrician and like you it could be post viral or migraines due to family history. I agree I feel as though my GP doesn't fully understand and everyone thinks it is pointless to see a neurologist as it is nothing "severely wrong and nothing else to be found!" but i hope you get some help and feel better soon! If you find anything, please contact me! smile

good luck smile

• Posted

Hi Michelle I have had a similar experience to yourself. I had a viral infection and was left with a ongoing headache. I have had this malady for 2 and 1/2 years. My neurologist has borrowed me a machine called "Cefaly". It is a tens machine that you put on your forehead for 20mins day. Maybe you should try this machine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.