Daily headaches negative MRI, feeling hopeless

Posted , 2 users are following.

Not even sure how these are happening. Had ct and MRI. They always go back to anxiety. Yes, I have that. But I know my body and I was actually doing pretty good prior to these coming on. They started as left sided head pain only, mostly near temple. Sometimes my face aches and near bridge of nose. Sinus part of scan showed their clear. I cannot believe how much this ruins daily life. Imitrex does nothing. I am stressed now bc I want to know what the heck is wrong. Tried a chiropractor. Not my vision, not dehydrated. Didn't change diet or coffee etc. nothing makes sense. I don't know what to do for answers. I feel desperate. I started relpax, but you can only take so much. It takes the edge off but I still wake up almost every day with it. Now it's mostly been tension type. It goes back and forth. Please someone tell me you've had this and found relief ;( considering sleep study. Don't think it's tmj. I just need some help. ;(

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Katie

?Has anyone mentioned Trigeminal Neuralgia to you? Some GP's have never heard of it although I think it is more known since I had it. Cause is not known but the pain is unrelenting and starts suddenly without warning. Google it and see what you think. It may not fit your symptoms but at least you will know. Gabapenten or Pregablin usually sort this out. I took Gabapenten for 3 months, then slowly came off and the pain had gone. Mine was in the left side back and top of skull but I think it is more common in the face. I do hope you get some answers soon and let us know if you do. Be well again 

• Posted

Thanks much for responding. So I looked it up, and I'm not sure if this is what I have? Some criteria seem silmiar. Like the headaches came on one day after I was particularly stressed out and have hardly stopped. But the pain is usually around my left temple, sometimes right side of head. I do have neck pain but not always. And the pain isn't severe it's just so maddening like a dull ache. It's been affecting my cheeks lately though sometimes same time and what I looked up said it usually is burning aching on top of head or base like you said. But! The interesting thing is my rheumatologist prescribed me gabapentin last month for nerve pain in my feet and I didn't start taking it bc o was afraid of the side effects. But I think it may be worth a shot now ESP since it worked for you! Can you tell me if you had any side effects from it? And how long it took before it helped you? Did you have any kind of testing done? And did you have this almost 24/7? Thanks again, this forum is really helping to save some of us since Doctors don't tell us all we need to know. Looking forward to hearing from you

• Posted

I had bad side effects from Gabapentin, awful nightmares, brain fog and just generally felt terrible. My GP then put me on Pregabalin which apart from a dry mouth and sleepiness I settled well and it dealt with the neuropathic pain. I should explain that I now have severe Osteoporosis and my lower vertabra have crumbled - this caused sciatic nerves to be trapped and I suffered dire pain 24/7 for 9 months without sleep and I could not walk. My GP had previously noticed I walked with a stoop and sent me for an urgent DEXA scan which revealed the problem and gave me Pregabalin. I have lost 2" in height because of the crumbled bones. Now I am able to walk again without too much pain although I have lumbar pain which is maddening but I don't let it stop me walking. The difference is that I could not even put my floot to the floor before I took Pregabalin. It took about 4 - 6 weeks to work and takes patience. If the pain is neuropathic it works. You mention nerve pain in your feet so either Gabapentin or Pregabalin should work. As for side effects, they are different for everyone - some can't take them because side effects are not liveable with, some can and are glad of the relief. It may be to your benefit to try Gabapentin or Pregab and find relief of pain that makes life so darned miserable. So, to sum up, these meds have worked for me twice, once for trigeminal neuralgia and once for sciatic nerve pain. I hope this is of help to you. By the way, no testing was done...diagnosis was simply by me describing the pain and a GP who knew how to translate symptoms.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.