Daily Persistent Headache for 9 Months

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is my first time writing on a forum and I feel a little nervous about it!

I am 23 years old and for nine months I have suffered with a daily persistent headache.

The headache is present every single second of every single day and the pain is very often severe. The majority of the time I feel as though my head is literally going to explode and all I can do is cry out in pain. I also get stabbing pain around my temples and eyes which can cause my vision to go blurry. My headache also causes ear ache, ringing in my ears, jaw pain and a sore throat which leaves me feeling completely overwhelmed with pain.

I was previously a happy and healthy person enjoying life but after four months of suffering with the pain I had to leave my job and become a prisoner in my own home. As a result I have become isolated from so many people and so many things in my life.

My pain is greatly exacerbated by any type of routine physical activity so I am forced to spend my days in bed in the dark and away from any noise.

In September I went to A&E and I was sent for an urgent MRI of my brain as the doctor suspected that I had a build up of pressure on my brain. Luckily the MRI came back normal and the neurologist I saw assured me that nothing sinister was going on. Of course that's great news but this also means that I still have no idea whats happening to me.

I have also developed severe neck pain which means I am unable to turn my head without horrible pain. My trapezius muscles are also very swollen which often causes my left arm to become completely rigid and unmoveable for hours at a time. In October I also began to feel pain and aches throughout my entire body. I constantly feel as though I have the flu and as though my body is so weak. My GP thinks that I may have Fibromyalgia but nothing has been confirmed.

I have been prescribed Amitriptyline, Propranolol and I have just started on Gabapentin. Amitriptyline didn't help and caused horrible side effects and Propranolol only made matters worse. I am hoping and praying that Gabapentin will help with both my headache and my body pain but I've had no relief yet.

I am waiting to see a neurologist again as well as a rheumatologist but it's all a waiting game and I'm struggling to cope.

My reason for finally plucking up the courage and writing on a forum is to be able to talk to other people who are suffering with a similar thing to me. I have found my pain to be so isolating and I find it difficult not being able to speak to anybody who may have some understanding. Its hard having pain that nobody can see and that is often underestimated because if you haven't experienced it how are you meant to know what it's like.

I really hope that by posting on this forum I can have the opportunity to speak to others in a similar position and that by talking we can help each other, even if just for a moment.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like anxiety /depression to me as all test you have done are normal. As for the pain in your neck you mentioned you stay in bed all the time ? That can put a strain on your body parts. Stress can cause headaches also and soarness in the neck back etc. Just a thought.
  • Posted

Hi I'm 21 years old and have also had a daily headache for the past year nearly. I've been to see a doctor numerous times to just be told it's fine and it's nothing as the MRI came back clear. I know something's wrong but not had any luck yet of anyone taking it seriously. I have neck pain behind my right ear mostly which goes up through my jaw into my eye and head, on odd occasion swaps sides. This gives me shoulder ache and back ache also. I'm terribly tired most of the time and don't have trouble sleeping through the pain at all fortunately. At first probably 6/7 months in, I just had a melt down, with worry and being scared of having this forever. No matter what anyone said it didn't help. But after getting my act together i have to just get on with it. if you've have had every test offered to you, I chose to stop all medications after I'd tried the first 10/20 different ones as none was helping and I wondered if some made it worse. The stress and worry 1000x made it worse so do anything to help you keep calm. It's still there every day but I'm coping (most days) I have a jaw appointment soon so see if that could be the problem. Acceptance that it's happening to you was my first step to feeling better and being calmer, now I'm taking every day as it comes, waiting lists and appointments as it comes, and hopefully soon I'll find a reason and I hope you do too. But you are 100% not alone. Headaches are a mystery in most cases yet such a big problem in many people and such a horrible thing to have, I really hope you feel better soon, and don't give up searching! Think into your teeth, jaw, neck, eyes, your bite, do you have trouble breathing through your nose, allergys to foods, (staying in bed and straining your neck, or sleeping in fetal position makes me worse) any sleeping habits or positions , try a better pillow, your posture, I really hope this helps you, best wishes

• Posted

OK this might seem odd to you, and it is not very encouraging, but has the doctor checked you for Mono? This is EXACTLY how my body responded to Mono and it took me over 6 months to get over it. Dr found it in a blood test.
  • Posted

Hi, in my opinion you can have New daily persistent headache (NDPH), to me also I have similar symptoms, the neurologist I recommend the Bitrate of hydrocodone + acetaminophen, is the only medicine that helped me a little, because I do not Take the pain, I've been 4 years with this pain

• Posted

I wanted to follow up on this conversation and see if anyone has found any solutions.

I have had daily headaches for going on 3 years now. They are tension type headaches across the front of my head that can turn into more severe migraines if dehydrated, with physical effort or direct sunlight.

The one temporary medicine that seems to help is Excedrin. I have tried all the other medicines (Antidepressants, migraine shots, botox, etc). I do not think it is from stress either. I also tried chiropractor, acupuncture, message, yoga).

Love to hear any successes that have worked for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.