Damaged blood cells

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there people, so I suffer from extreme health anxiety and always worry something is wrong with me but I was at doctors couple of weeks ago for bloods and i got my results yesterday and the doc said I have damaged blood cells and it’s nothing to worry about and I’ve to go for more bloods. But was just wondering if anyone would know if I’m probably anemic if the doctor told me not to worry because now I think I have cancer and I keep my self up from crying all night as I’m 19 and worrying sick. But my mom told me not to worry as if it was anything seriously or if they where testing me for anything serious they would have to tell me is this true? Google has got me going insane. Also if anyone suffers from anemia any tips if that’s it but help me out please thanks again 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don’t worry about it. You don’t have cancer. Your white blood cells would be the problem. I’ve had anemia all my life and take iron supplements.  Do you have heavy periods? That’s usually the cause. Try to relax. I know it’s hard with anxiety. Stay off google 
    • Posted

Could I ask you a few questions? Do you feel constantly tired. Headaches. Body aches. Aches aren’t constantly but do you feel just general not yourself and extremely pale? 
    • Posted

Also I’m make so don’t take periods. But whenever I’ve googled it’s said red blood cells cancers leukaemia and other stuff so it’s really scaring me I feel like I’ll die really soon extremely scared, can anemia kill?? Also would my doctor have told me if anything serious or can they make u wait sorry about these questions last ones I’ll ask thank u for help 
    • Posted

Hi Darren, stop worrying, if your doctor thought you had a serious blood disease he would have you in hospital by now having tests. There are all sorts of reasons why your blood cells can be different, infection being one, anaemia being one, even rheumatoid arthritis. You could be anaemic but as a male it’s unlikely unless you have a very poor diet.

You sound over anxious, have you told your doctor about your anxiety? Maybe you should. They can arrange for you to have something called talking therapy, which will put your worries and fears into perspective.

I think everybody at some stage in their lives have anxiety of some sort.

Yours is just overwhelming you.

You are not dying, you have not got cancer, you are just a very anxious person. You should not be crying at night because you are so worried. Please try to explain to your doctor how you feel, and that you feel you need help. Don’t try to do it alone. 

And no, anaemia can’t kill you, just makes you feel extremely unwell.

• Posted

Hi

Firstly I also suffer from health anxiety . I am 46 . Please get help for the anxiety and don't let it take over your life . There are lot of options like counselling , medication etc . 

What did doctor say damaged blood cells seems a strange phrase . Did he say you were low on iron . 

Your mum is 100% right if it was serious they would be looking into it and won't say not worry . When do you get next blood . Ask then what they are testing for ?

Do you have any symptoms ?

Best way to increase iron is supplements . 

Take care

Ellie 

• Posted

Hi my symptoms are headaches really bad pale skin and tiredness my diet is really bad so thinking that’s caused it, but I’m sure If it was cancer or anything deadly or harmful they wouldn’t have said don’t worry about it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.