Damaged cartilage , chondropathy st1-2

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi , I have damaged cartilage on Patela and femoral bone. I can manage my pain at rest but stops me doing thinks like picking thinks from the floor, Can’t do the stairs as it always trigger more pain , even slow pedáloch on bicykle triggers scratching . 

Pain is getting unmanageable when I am at work on 12 hrs shift and I keep getting off sick. It is affecting my income, mental Health and I am worried I am going to loose my job.

I had private MRI and private orthopaedic surgeon advised for arthroscopy and washout maybe some shaving if needed.  I am having pain from April and it’s definitely not getting better.  I brought my MRI to GP (UK) , but only got referred to sport medicine (2 months waiting time) - the doctor there told me basically I need to possibly decrease my working h ours (discuss this at work with occupational health) Adjust my life. 

They told me they don’t advise me to have arthroscopy as people can feel worse after having them done. 

I said I read studies from America and Uk that washout and arthroscopy can help. But dr. Told me the problem is -in America everyone wants to do something and I should not believe those studies.  He told me to read studies from Australia or New Zealand.

Anyway it seems like I can’t get referred to orthopaedic surgeon through NHS as this sport medicine doctor thinks there is not another option as to live with what I have got. I have no private insurance  and I don’t know what to do?

Has anyone had arthroscopy  for patella femoral pain, washout or shaving of cartilage ? 

Did the surgery help? 

Should I borrow money for arthroscopy or it’s waste of money and it’s realy not going to get better??? 

I feel so hopeless, not sure what and who to believe. 

Please if you have some experience let me know. 

Thank you all. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is always a tough decision. Might help for second opinion. I have similar damage. I did psio therapy exercises and water therapy for a few months. Was able to ice and rest knee. It helped for awhile. Then finally gave in when my knee would just give out and to much pain. Once carthledge is damaged according to the surgeon it is tough to repair if left too long the debris can get worse causing extensive damage. In my case the surgery helped my knee and finally can walk without fear of falling and constant pain. Best wishes !
    • Posted

Can you tell me how long did you wait before surgery-since your symptoms started? 

• Posted

The first hip was only a few months after initial diagnosis after meeting with the surgeon and support staff. The surgeon stressed how important it is to have surgery before bone becomes too damaged and for a good outcome. I was ready to get it done and move on...it was the best decision for me. I had a lot of  cofindence in my surgeon he took time to go over details and had a great staff for follow up and aftercare. And that was over 20 years ago and that same hip is still tickin. Had the opossite hip done a few years later.

Everyone is different thru this decision process thru the surgery and

healing . As long as your in good shape all will be a positive outcome for you .....when you are ready.  

Best of luck! 

• Posted

sorry above answer was in thr mode . I need to address the knees. It's painful and knee braces & therapy just did not last .The torn miniscus in my knee was diagnosed after a fall with my horse on my knee and the horse landed on top of me, which was the initial cause of the carthlege to tear. I was sent to rehab for the knee but after 8 months I finally decided to have the knee debris cleaned out and I was glad I did. That was 6 years ago and it's doing fine. 

Best wishes !

• Posted

did you end up going through with the procedure ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.