Damaged eyes due to retinol serum use?

Posted , 5 users are following.

About 6 weeks ago I started using CeraVe's retinol serum. Within a week or so I noticed that my eyes were dry, red, and my eyelids were a little puffy. I continued to use the serum for another week, but then my vision started to get blurry as well. I thought maybe it was from the serum so I stopped using it. I've always had bad vision, and I had just had an eye exam a few months ago and got new contacts and new glasses with a new Rx strength of -6.50. I just couldn't see out of them clearly at all since using the serum. I went to the eye doctor on 11/16/23 and he said that both of my corneas are swollen and my pressures are elevated (the fluid in your eyes that protect your optic nerves). He put me on steroid drops and another drop that should help bring the pressure down. My Rx strength also changed from -6.50 to -8.50. The doctor thinks the sudden change in Rx is due to the irritation in my eyes right now. I go back for a follow up this coming Monday.

I've since started researching damage that can be done to the eyes from retinol use and I'm scared of permanent damage. I stopped using the serum about a month ago and I feel that my eyes have gotten worse. Has anyone experienced this before? I did not put the serum directly under my eyes, but I did put it on my "crowsfeet wrinkles" and to my high cheekbone area. Thanks in advance for your thoughts 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

A reaction to retinol creams is quite common, especially on the face and the delicate area around the eyes.,The recommendation is to try it on a tiny area first just to see if there is any reaction. Im guessing you put on a fair amount and maybe every day.

Its now just a question of wait and see what happens. Make sure you continue to see your eye doctor until this clears up.

Your story is a warning to others who may be considering using it, although not all react as you have.

• Posted

I just read your email and i cant believe what i just read ( good meaning ) i am sitting here with a painful , hot left eye no redness .

I put in some eye drops from the Chemist this morning . Strange thing is i started using Cera Ve face cream four days ago and i covered my face and eye area day and night . Could it possibly be an allergic reaction ?

I was checking out the drops when i read your post .

I will stick to my old face cream from now on . Speedy recovery for both of us .

• Posted

Yes quite possibly a n allergic reaction. Stop using the cream and continue with the eye drops. It may help to take an anti histamine tablet once per day. If your eye[s] get very red and uncomfortable then see your doctor.

Retinol cream should never be used unless you do a patch test first. It should be kept away from the eyes, and eyelids. Some folks react badly, others dont react at all.

• Posted

I've experienced eye irritation from almost anything that I apply to my face or eyelids. This occurs on one eye but not the other. The affected eye has been diagnosed with an irregular surface. This started years ago when I applied eyelash growth serum (along upper eyelid border) followed by facial lotion (applied an inch or more from my eyes). I think these lotions can migrate and begin to irritate the eye. I have to be very careful ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.