Dangerously Underweight, Please Help Me

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, I saw a nurse the other day & learned that my BMI is 15.2. The nurse claimed that I'm “perfectly healthy" but I know that's a lie. I'm aware that 15.2 is dangerously underweight & I'm incredibly scared now. I can't see a doctor until next month so what should I do? Should I just go to the ER?

I've been losing weight lately & I don't know why. I'm not anorexic or anything & actually have had an appetite increase. I had my thyroid checked & all was fine.

I'm just really afraid & need some kind of guidance please.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Try to remember.. we do not all fit in the "normal" BMI.  It's more for an average person.  Your doctor said that everything is fine, most likely because it is.  Some people have a very small build and are "small boned", just as their are people who are "big boned"  I would say, that if you are built very small and have thin arm and legs, and also, if are shorter then the average height, it is normal for you.  If you are more big boned, if look like a skeleton, or if you can see all your bones sticking out, then you should be worried.   I myself am 5"6 and even though I am taller, I have a small build, and am more "small boned"...my BMI is 19.0, very close to being considered "underweight", but like I said, I have smaller bones and am just naturally very thin and lean, where if I did go under that 18.5 BMI, it would still mean I'm fine.  So, I would imagine that your doctor has perceived you to look healthy and that you dd not look underweight by apperance.  But... just for peace of mind, you can always ask your doctor for basic blood work, which would show if there is anything that needs to addressed. 

• Posted

Thank you for replying. <3

I know that some people are just naturally thin & small boned & I've been skinny all my life but the problem is, I've been having symptoms of some kind of illness(es) for about 3 months now. My bones are kind of starting to show now. I had blood work done a few times & no one can find anything which is even worse. I know I'm sick but the sickness is hiding & it's very scary. I went from 107 to 99 pounds within a matter of weeks. Something is not right & I can tell but I don't know what is going on & neither does anyone else. Other people have pointed out my weight loss. I am not on a diet & I have no eating disorders

I can't see a doctor until July & I'm really scared that I won't make it that far. My birthday is in 4 days & I'm a little scared that I won't even see that day.

I don't know what to do. 

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that.. yes, you are correct in that much weight loss, that fast is not normal.  You know your body better then any other doctor.  If you feel that something is wrong, then you should keep pushing for more test.  If your doctor will not listen to you, then you should find a new one.  I'm sorry to hear that you have not been feeling good.  Best wishes...

• Posted

Loosing weight will not standalone. How much uou were before and how much you are now. In what time period.

If it's short period,You must be having other symptoms.

Had your blood work ?

• Posted

Thank you for responding. smile

I know & you're right because I've been sick with some kind of illness(es) for about 3 months now. I had blood work done a few times now & no one can tell me what's wrong. I went from 107 to 99 pounds within a matter of weeks for no reason. 

I've had symptoms come & go over the course of about 3 months but I'm currently dealing with an irregular heart beat ( mostly at night ), execessive sleepiness, restlessness, increased appetite, a feeling of detachment from surroundings all day, every day, I feel really hot at night, I sometimes wakes up feeling crazy & disoriented, I also wake up seeing shapes & patterns in the air at times, occasional nausea & involuntary weight loss. My veins also look swollen throughout the day in a way that doesn't seem normal. I also have chest pain that feels achy & nothing causes or relieves it. However, the chest pain lessened on its own. 

I have struggled with anxiety issues in the past but this feels nothing like that & I can tell it is not anxiety. Something seems very wrong & other people can see these things so I'm not making anything up. 

Again, I only listed some of my symptoms & not all of them for the sake of going on any longer. 

• Posted

The symptoms you put above all are sounds like anxiety, what was causing you to made this ?

Do you have loose stool issues ?

• Posted

I know but it does not feel like my typical anxiety & the symptoms I typed above were just some of the symptoms, not all.

I'm sorry, I do not understand your question. What caused me to make what?

Yes, I actually do have loose stools. Why do you ask?

?

• Posted

Seems you are worried about the symptoms rather than the problem. You got to fix your stomach issue.

In this site many of us have the same issue.

Have you has any risky sexual exposure just before the problem started for you ?

• Posted

Thank you for your correspondence so far. smile

I am worried about everything. I don't know what has been going on with my body for the past few months & no one else seems to know either. It's scary to walk around with some mystery illness(es) that doctors can't even figure out.

No, no risky sexual exposure. My problems seemed to start out of nowhere & it all started in March.

Any stomach issues I have are just additional problems to the problems I've been dealing with since March.

• Posted

I understand, according to my naturopath from India (Sidha) says that if your stomach, lungs, spleen are clear you will not have any body related issues as all the parts are feeded by these 3 parts.

Have you tried to reach any naturopath?

• Posted

Thank you for that information. I had blood tests run specifically for my liver before & all came back fine. I never had my spleen checked. I did have a CT scan on my chest & an X-ray was done on my lungs & everything was said to be fine with that too.

No, I never saw or tried to reach a naturopath, I'm not familiar with what or who that is. I also don't have money to see whoever I want so I have to rely on this program that helps the uninsured & those with low income.

Thank you for your help! smile

• Posted

Whoops, I don't know why I thought you mentioned the liver lol. You mentioned the stomach. I never had my stomach checked so I don't know for sure if anything abnormal is going on there.

• Posted

You said loose stool which is not good if it is frequent and abnormal. Do you feel stomach bloating, heart burn etc ?

Where are you from?

• Posted

I've been having loose stool lately but I looked it up & it says it's normal? What kind of danger is loose stool indicative of exactly?

Yes, I feel stomach bloating but no heartburn. I used to have chest pain everyday but that lessened through time.

I'm from Florida, US. 

• Posted

Hi nobodycares.

Still I am not worried about your chest pain, I m pretty that goes away if you stop paying attention to it. I have crossed those , don't worry about it and it goes away when you start laughing and move around with friends.

Make sure your sleeping time is not less than 7hrs in night and 1.5 hr nap in afternoon. Sleeping time and food time should be fixed and strictly followed. Minimum 30min brisk walk everyday advisable along with your close friend. Try yoga.

Try diet.

If you are from India, we would have joined. I suspect IBS for you, speak to doctor more on this.

• Posted

Thank you for all of your help. ?

My chest pain isn't as bad as it used to be.

I've recently changed my diet to healthier foods & I'm trying to eat more to see if it can help me gain any weight.

I considered IBS as well but I'm not sure & am afraid of something more sinister going on. Either way, I will be talking to my doctor about all of this if it doesn't clear up.

Thanks again. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.