Dark/Black Bits in my stool

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 14-year-old girl and I'm waiting for my results (everyone I asked and even my doctor is suspecting IBS). Ok so today, I had a BM and I saw these dark bits in my stool. The stool is not dark or black or red. It is kinda orange-brown? So well this morning, I had slight diarrhea, I didn't see any of the black bits, however. But my most recent bowel movement had lots of these black/dark bits. It's not really specks, more like "strings" (not sure how to describe it) and the sizes vary. I'm scared its blood or something like that. I did have lots of dark leafy foods and the bits does looks like chewed up, undigested food. But I'm still a bit worried and stressed. I occasionally get specks too. Would this be bleeding or just food I ate? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katy! I feel a bit better about myself because someone around my age isn't experiencing the same or almost the same thing as me. I'm no doctor (heck, I'm barely 13) but I think it's just the food you ate. I'm trying to get in my fiber, more iron, more veggies and fruit, the healthy stuff, you know? When I eat a big salad with lots of leafy greens or just lots of veggies (sometimes blueberries are the culprit of the dark bits too), I tend to get a lot of these long, well it also vary in size, dark pieces mixed with my stool. I'm pretty sure it's just undigested food but if it's not gone in a few days, I recommend checking with your doctor. 

Btw I'm actually waiting for my results too! Everyone is saying that I most likely have IBS (apparently we're too young to have cancer, it's very rare). My doctor assured me it's IBS my aunt who is a GI doctor also think that too. I know what you're feeling.

• Posted

really trying to follow it and stick with it but i'm so new...it's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to stick with a diet. Also, is it just me or is it everytime I try another attempt, someone would be eating something I that crave so so so much! It's a bit frustration

• Posted

Hey KayKay, thanks for replying!!!! Finally someone who is going through the same thing as me. I'm not alone! Best of luck to you too. Your comment really helps.

• Posted

Kat,  it is good you are seeing a doctor as he is the one that can only give you a true diagnosis. I would also make sure you talk to your parents about this, I know that it is an embarrassing topic, but it is important to let adults know.  Just from the sounds of it, I don't think it's anything serious, probably the food you are eating, but that is just my opinion based off of what you said. Do you have cramps pain or discomfort?

• Posted

Yea, I get frequent discomfort/pain/cramps. It would go away by itself usually in less than an hour or about an hour. But most of the time, a BM really helps ease the pain. However, it doesn't go away straight after (sometimes it does). Usually a dull, almost barely there pain for a few more minutes until it's completely gone and my energy is basically recharged again (sounds weird right?). I told my mom all about these weird symptoms and undigested food thingy. That's why she took me to the doctors.

• Posted

Sounds like undigested food especially since you been eating dark, leafy foods.  Try avoiding these foods t see if this diseappears.  This is common with IBS.  Take comfort from the fact that your doctor thinks you have IBS.  Don’t worry, simply discuss this with your doctor if you need further reassurance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.