Dark brown period

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi... for the past 6 months I have been having dark brown period on the 1st day of my cycle then it changes to bright red and stops after 4 days max. And it's very light Ps too. I am worried something is wrong but my gynae assured me after blood work and an ultrasound that everything is ok. Should I trust him and ignore it or should I see another gynae for a second opinion? And i am 35 years old turning 36 this year.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It could be just some old blood that didn’t slough off after your last period. And then it appears as brown at the start of your next period. Even in our 30s progesterone starts dropping, and progesterone keeps things regulated. I’m pretty sure birth control pills are progesterone based which helps regulate your periods. 

Do you have any other symptoms of perimeno? Night sweats? I started getting those in my 30s.

I think if your tests were normal you should trust your doc and not worry about it! 

XO

• Posted

Thanks Suzanne... I am was so worried i even went for a pap smear and now I have to wait for 2 weeks to get the results... I am so depressed.
  • Posted

Hi ! I used to have that, too..

I'm pretty sure it's old blood 

💕

• Posted

Christelle don’t worry dear , it happened to me at least four times and a couple of times it looked like poop (sorry) on my pad ..yuk . And it became bright red/vivid and only lasted 3-4 days . It’s part of our process and please take vitamins every morning and drink lots of water ❣️
    • Posted

Thanks Anna. I wish I find this forum earlier. I was not gonna lose my mind . I am health anxious and this worries me. Thanks for the reassurance. Feels good to know I am not alone.

• Posted

Am 55 and have had the same experience with the periods that I have had every few months over the past year.Right now, have not had a period for over 4 months. First time I saw the brown blood, it immediately made me think it was from something leftover from the previous period because the previous period length had been getting shorter each time. I used to have heavy periods for no less than 7 days.....definitely felt I was on the menopause train once the periods started shortening. My doctor has confirmed this as well.

Trust your doctor and keep an eye out for other unusual changes.

• Posted

Risky,

I'm 55 too!!! The first time I meet someone going through this my same age. I'm 14 days late so hoping🤞it last a year. I'll be 56 in a few months, I'm so over this ordeal.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi, 

I'm 46 and have had this for the last 3 to 4yrs... it's just old blood. Mine are much lighter too now and more of the yucky stuff! 

AJ. xx

• Posted

Oh wow! It really is yucky...

Does it mean I will have this stuff every month?😢

Growing up is such a battle.

• Posted

Well, sometimes it's better than others but the blood has defo changed colour and consistency on most occasions now... I think it's because I had stopped my periods completely but then went on sequential HRT around 8 months ago and so have a period again each month but I feel it's a kind of 'forced, false' period as without HRT I wouldn't have them at all... 

Sorry I tend to waffle! Did all that make sense?! 😖😬

AJ. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.