Dark green diarrhoea, smells like cars. Why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suddenly had stomach pain, and my bowels were grumbling, I knew I was going to have diarrhoea. Having recently gone back on iron tablets due to anaemia, I expected it to be black. However it was dark green, and smelt like the inside of a car. It was very watery with some small pieces. I have not had leafy greens recently (I should have, I know). My stomach has been hurting for days and I have been feeling sick the last few days and gagging frequently (no actual vomit though). I am at work right now, it was too last minute to call in sick and I am already in trouble for having so much time off from my digestive problems. I am soon going to give in a sample for the doctors to see what is wrong. Does anyone have any ideas or guesses? I am very worried.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking your iron tablets on an empty stomach (one hour before a meal) with a drink containing vitamin c? That is how you are supposed to take them. Also there are different types of iron tablets ferrous sulphate, ferrous fumarate and ferrous gluconate, if one type isn't working for you, ask your doctor if you can try another.

Are you taking any other medications?

• Posted

I'm just taking them with water, and I am on sertraline, but I take that at night. Maybe I am the iron tablets don't agree with me?

• Posted

your anti depressants can cause stomach problems as well.

when you take the iron tablet maybe have a vitamin c tablet too, it is important to have both together. you could possibly ask your doctor to try some antispasmodic tablets for IBS, I had a terrible problem with my stomach when I was on antidepressants it is a very common side effect.

Have you had any examinations like an endoscopy or colonoscopy?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.