Dark red in stools what is this?? Age 17

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all,

for the last month i've had diarrhoea on and off not bad, im going toilet once or twice a day which is normal for me. the last 24 hours i was constipated but had quite a bit of wind, it got relieved when i ate a big meal but again it was diarrhoea mixed with dark red but im not sure if its mucus or something else.

I've had Ibs since i was 15. i'm male and 17 years old. I have no other symptoms, not the best diet either.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

hi nay, oh heck, dark red you said? it sounds like you've caused piles or something similar, see a doctor tomorrow. sorry if i've panicked you but dark red is not great....

• Edited

hi sam

thanks for your message what does dark red usually mean healthwise with no other symptoms and my age??

• Edited

was the dark red on the stool or separate? was there blood when you wiped? would most likely be bleeding haemmarroids since you were constipated, especially if you were straining.

don't panic. if it doesn't go away on a few days then see someone

• Posted

dark red was like a maroon colour and it was on the stool but in little bits thanks for your reply

• Posted

sounds like blood stained mucous from a haemmarroid

• Edited

Just a thought... you haven't been eating (or drinking) anything with a dark red or purple colouring, have you? This can either be a natural colouring - beetroot is good for causing a panic! - or an artificial colouring in junk food.

Blood in stool usually comes out as bright red if it's coming from around the rectum or anus, or as black sticky diarrhoea if it's coming from higher up. However, a small amount of fresh (i.e. rectal or anal) bleeding mixed with diarrhoea can give a dark red colouring.

I'd suggest looking at your diet to see whether anything there might have caused the problem, and if not, give it a couple of days then see your doctor if it persists. It's probably nothing serious - even people your age can get piles - but should be looked into if it carries on.

• Posted

i don't thinkso no, my diet isnt healthy, its more like a maroon colour red on the stools it's in blobs on the stool so it's not exactly covering it

• Posted

Do you have anxiety? or anxiety to do with your gi? I only ask because your mind really can play tricks on you. the color of your lighting can sometimes make a brown color look red. dont take this the wrong way but everyone else already brought up good points. shine the light of your phone at the poop next time and really examine the color.

look for streaks of blood

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.